A super easy ham and cheese quiche recipe to whip up for breakfast! Grab some store-bought pie crust dough and get started on this tasty breakfast meal everyone is going to enjoy.
If I ever need a breakfast that’s both tasty AND impressive, I love to make a good quiche, or breakfast pie. You can either make them simply with a store-bought pie crust, or go all out with a homemade pie crust!
Why we love it
We can’t get enough of quiches over here. They are always a hit with anyone who tries them, especially today’s version. I love the combination of ham and cheese—it’s so filling and flavorful!
This ham and cheese quiche is perfect for weekends, brunch, holidays, or when company comes for breakfast!
We use this base recipe for most quiche recipes and then switch up ingredients if we want to, since it’s easy to switch up flavors, herbs, meats, etc. So file this recipe away and pull it out anytime you need a rockstar breakfast for friends or family.
making ham cheese quiche
We like to blind bake our pie crust before baking the ham and cheese quiche.
Wondering what blind baking is? When a pie or tart filling is very wet, the crust must be pre-baked before it is filled. This technique is called “blind baking,” and it prevents the crust from becoming soggy. It’s helpful to pre-bake a pie crust for quiche because the custard filling is liquid in its raw state.
How to blind bake a pie crust: For a quiche you will only need to partially blind bake the crust as it will finish baking when it is placed back in the oven with the filling.
- After the pie crust has been placed in the pie plate cover the crust with parchment paper.
- Fill the bottom with baking weights (you can also use beans or rice) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the weights and parchment paper. Return the crust to the oven and bake for 7-8 more minutes.
FILLING. Once the crust is blind-baked, make the filling. In a medium mixing bowl, add the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together and then pour in the crust over the ham and cheese.
BAKE. Bake the quiche in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Insert a knife to see if it comes out clean—then the quiche is ready! Make sure to allow the quiche to set for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Wanting to make this ahead of time? Bake the ham and cheese quiche and keep it refrigerated or frozen until you need it. Make sure to wrap it airtight. It will last about 2-3 days in the fridge and 3-4 months in the freezer for best results. Reheat it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Notes and Tips
What to add to egg quiche: Less is More definitely applies to adding extras to your quiche. The star of the quiche should always be the fluffy egg mixture. A good rule of thumb is to only add ¼ cup of mix ins per egg. With that said here are some delicious mix in ideas:
- Add meat: you can replace the ham with a different meat or just add more meat along with the ham. Some great choices would be bacon bits on top or mix in cooked sausage.
- Change up the cheese with pepperack or swiss
- Veggies: diced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, chopped spinach, broccoli florets are all great choices. *When adding veggies that are liquidy try to remove the liquid by sauteing them first.
- Milk: Using 2% or whole milk will give the lightest quiche. For a more creamy quiche use half and half or heavy cream.
- Use pre bought diced ham or leftover holiday ham.
- Crustless quiche? Simply spray a pan and pour the quiche liquid straight into the pan.
- Do not overfill the crust: the egg will rise a bit and you do not want it running over the sides.
- Bake on the bottom rack of your oven to help the crust be nicely browned and crisp.
- No matter the size of the quiche, for every egg used the ratio should be ¼-½ cup of dairy. This is great info for deeper dish pans or for mini quiche.
Needing more breakfast inspiration? Try these recipes!
- Spinach Quiche
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- German Pancakes
- Homemade Granola
- Avocado Eggs
- Homemade Pop Tarts
Ham and Cheese Quiche Recipe
- 1 pie crust unbaked
- 1 cup chopped Ham
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Use a shallow sided 9" glass pie plate. Place the pie crust dough in the dish and crimp the edges. (I like to double fold the edges then crimp them.) Pre-bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow the crust to cool slightly before adding the ham and cheese.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix and then pour in the crust over the ham and cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.