Easy cheesy hamburger casserole is packed with flavor and kid approved! Loved by the entire family, it’s a go-to in the monthly menu.
Hamburger casserole is packed with meat and kid-friendly cheesy macaroni that will please even those picky eaters. For more weeknight casseroles try Homemade Hamburger Helper and Broccoli Cheese Casserole.
Easy, Cheesy + Delicious!
Busy weeknights can be hard. Rushing kids from one activity to another and helping with homework can easily eat away the entire evening. It is important for us to carve out time to eat dinner together as a family so that we can connect.
That is where easy weeknight meals become a necessity! I love to keep a running list of meals that are not only easy to make but yummy so the kids will actually eat – casseroles usually fit the bill.
This hamburger casserole hits it out of the park. It is so easy and flavorful. I mean really what’s not to love? It’s like a casserole of comfort.
On the Table in No Time
This easy hamburger casserole recipe takes just 15 minutes of prep for a perfect weeknight meal!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
PASTA. Boil the macaroni according to the directions on the package and drain.
BEEF. Use a large skillet to brown the ground beef. Add the chili powder, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper to taste.
SAUCE. In a separate bowl, stir the cream of chicken mushroom soup, tomato sauce, and corn. Add it to the skillet with the ground beef mixture.
BAKE. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and mix it together. Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake for 35-40 mins.
During the last 15 minutes of baking time sprinkle an even layer of the grated cheese over the top and finish baking the casserole.
Change it Up
Hamburger noodle casserole is pretty easy and delicious! If you wish to change things up here are a few ideas:
- Pasta. Use any kind of small noodles such as rigatoni, shells, penne, or bow tie pasta.
- Veggies. Add peas, chopped green beans, zucchini, or bell peppers.
- Cheese. Use your favorite cheese. Mozzarella cheese or pepper jack cheese would both be delicious.
- Turn up the heat. Add red chili flakes, and extra chili powder, or top with hot sauce.
- Meat. Use ground turkey or chicken instead or substitute half the ground beef with ground sausage.
- Toppings. Top with green onions or add a dollop of sour cream to each serving.
Storing + SErving Ideas
Make ahead of time. Casseroles are famous for being quick, easy, and hearty meals. They are also often made ahead of time.
I suggest doubling this hamburger macaroni casserole to have one dish ready to be used on another day. Keep in mind that you will want to undercook the pasta. Also, do not bake the dish if it is going in the freezer.
- Fridge: Once the casserole is assembled, wrap and keep it in the fridge for 1-2 days. Top with cheese before baking. You may need to add about 10-15 more minutes to the baking time to compensate for starting with a chilled dish.
- Freezer: Assemble the hamburger meat casserole in a freezer-safe baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap then again with foil. Label and freeze for 3-6 months. Thaw before topping with cheese and baking.
STORE. Divide the leftovers into individual portions and store them in the fridge or freezer. Use the oven to reheat larger portions. Smaller portions can be heated in the microwave.
Serving suggestions. Anything goes with this cheesy hamburger casserole, but here are some of our favorites:
It is not necessary but can add just a bit of extra flavor to the dish. When the pot of water comes to a boil add ½ tablespoon of salt then add the macaroni noodles.
You can add extra flavor by substituting half of the ground beef with ground Italian sausage. You can also replace ground beef with ground chicken or ground turkey.
Absolutely! This dish makes a great freezer meal. I recommend boiling the noodles just to al dente. Assemble the casserole in a freezer-safe baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap then again with aluminum foil. Label and freeze for 3-6 months. Thaw before topping with cheese and baking.
For More Easy Dinner Recipes, Try:
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Hamburger Stroganoff
- Easy Pizza Casserole
- Skillet Lasagna
- Taco Casserole
- Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can cream of chicken mushroom soup or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- 2 cups macaroni noodles uncooked
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese more, if needed, to cover the casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Boil the macaroni according to the direction on the package and drain.
- Use a large skillet to brown the ground beef. Add the chili powder, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cream of chicken mushroom soup, tomato sauce, and corn. Add it to the skillet with the hamburger.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and mix together.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- During the last 15 minutes of bake time sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and finish baking the casserole.
What do we do with Italian seasoning? Is it in the instructions and I’m missing it? I see it in the ingredients. I assume add in with the hamburger. Yum! 🙂
Yes – you add the Italian seasoning in with the other spices when you are cooking the hamburger meat. I will make this step more clear in the post. Thanks so much for catching that! I hope you enjoy the recipe!
I added more seasonings a dash of Cheyenne pepper gives it a little more jazz than the chili powder also 2 cups of cheese was better than 1. Other than that my kids seemed to like it
I’m so glad your kids liked it! Thanks for sharing what you did!
I sauteed an onion and a couple of garlic cloves then added hamburger. This is simple but good, overall. Thanks.
I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!
It was delicious
Thank you!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
Do you drain the ground beef…..recipe doesn’t say to???
Thought it was very bland.
Love the recipe but will probably leave out the corn next time. But it’s going in my files.
See More Comments