Soft and Simple Lemon Cookies are a favorite with everyone. The butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar in this Lemon Cake Mix Cookie make them totally melt in your mouth!
Of all the lemon cookie recipes on the site, this one is definitely the most simple! We also like the cake mix version with frosting, and the lemon sugar cookie recipe. All are delicious in different ways!
melt in your mouth Cookies
Remember how I’m a lemon convert?!
I haven’t always loved lemon-y treats, but I’m obsessed these days and thought it would be fun to try a Lemon version of our Gooey Butter Cookies and make some delicious Lemon Cake Mix Cookies.
Knowing just how much we love our Gooey Cookies, we were sure a lemon version would be amazing. It also helps that this cookie recipe is simple and so soft. The cream cheese and butter in the recipe make them so irresistible as well as make them so good, they melt in your mouth.
How to make lemon cake mix cookies
I don’t always have lemon cake mix on hand, which is the main ingredient, but all the remaining ingredients are simple – butter, cream cheese, egg, lemon extract and powdered sugar. Because we have been making these more, though, I’ve been sure to grab a few lemon cake boxes each month, especially because we’re also obsessed with this Lemon Sheet Cake that uses them.
Other than chilling the dough for these cookies for half hour, these cookies can be made quickly, and with the help of the kiddos.
DOUGH. Beat butter, lemon extract, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy, using a hand mixer. Add in cake mix and beat until smooth.
REFRIGERATE. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
POWDERED SUGAR. Add ½ cup powdered sugar to a small bowl. Roll dough into ½-1 inch balls and dip in powdered sugar. Placed on greased cookie sheet.
BAKE. Bake for 12 – 13 minutes. Sift with powdered sugar if desired. ENJOY!
Additions: If you’re feeling extra fancy, you can add white chocolate chips to the dough, top with toasted coconut, or even drizzle a powdered sugar/lemon glaze on top of your baked cookies.
STORING AND FREEZING
How do I store baked cookies?
- Counter: Once the cookies have cooled Place them in an airtight container. Cookies will keep for several days. To help keep them from getting stale put a slice of fresh bread in the container as well.
- Freezer: Once the cookies has cooled place them in an airtight container. Put parchment or wax paper between each layer. Freeze for 4-6 months.
Can I freeze cake mix cookie dough? Yes! You can easily freeze the dough to bake later. Place dough balls on a cookie sheet to flash freeze them. Freeze for about 2 hours or until the outside has become frozen. Place balls in an airtight freezer safe container. Safely freeze for 4-6 months.
To Bake: remove the desired number of dough balls. Allow to thaw on a cookie sheet and bake according to recipe.
These cookies really are so soft and melt in your mouth. They have just enough lemon to appeal to all those obsessed with lemon treats, but not so lemon-y that they are too tart.
For more cake mix cookies, check out:
More Lemon Treats
Lemon Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
- 1 Lemon Cake Box Mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- With a hand mixer, beat butter, lemon extract, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in cake mix and beat until smooth.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar to a small bowl. Roll dough into 1/2-1 inch balls and dip in powdered sugar. Placed on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 - 13 minutes. Sift with powdered sugar if desired. ENJOY!