This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Bake is a simple twist on a family favorite! It’s an easy dinner, perfect any night of the week.
casserole version of a classic
Who doesn’t love Pasta?! We make at least one pasta dish a week.
We LOVE Fettuccine Alfredo and knew a casserole version with chicken would be just as good. We were right… this recipe is a family favorite and is on the monthly rotation because it’s loved by all.
How to Make
OPTIONAL MARINADE. If time allows, marinate the chicken. Add chicken and Italian dressing to a bag. Let sit overnight or even a few hours to make the chicken tender and full of flavor.
PASTA. Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, heat 1-2 TB of oil in a skillet on medium heat.
CHICKEN. Slice your marinated chicken in half so they are thinner pieces. This will help them cook through evenly.
- In a bowl, mix salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Rub it on all sides of your chicken breasts.
- Add chicken to hot oil and cook on both sides until done (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove to a plate to let cool.
SAUCE. While the chicken is cooling, preheat your oven to 350°F and start on your sauce. In a separate large skillet melt the butter; add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, mix in flour and stir until bubbly.
- Mix in half & half and milk (you can also sub these two for heavy cream), and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- With your whisk, mix in 1½ cups of cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove sauce from heat.
ASSEMBLE. Cut your cooked chicken into bite-size pieces and add to a large bowl. Add the pasta to your bowl and then the sauce. Mix everything to combine.
BAKE. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Add the pasta mixture to the pan and sprinkle with an additional 1½ cups of cheese.
Sprinkle with pepper and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Garnish the dish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Pasta. Alfredo sauce is often served over fettuccine noodles, but we chose to use penne noodles for this baked dish. Other pasta choices include mini penne or rigatoni.
Veggies. Add broccoli, spinach, peas, corn, bell peppers, or mushrooms.
Chicken. Use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken to save time. Make chicken alfredo pasta bake without chicken or substitute the chicken with cooked sausage. Mix in shrimp or add crumbled bacon on top.
Kraft 5 Italian Cheese Blend contains mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, parmesan cheese, asiago cheese, and romano cheese. Shred your own cheese blend using these cheeses.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Alfredo
There are so many sides and bread that go great with this chicken alfredo casserole. Here are some of our favorites:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Parmesan Asparagus
- Copycat Breadsticks
- Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Vegetables
- Garlic Knots
Make ahead of time. Prepare as directed, cover, and place in the fridge. We typically do this the night before or the morning of, but it can be stored up to 24 hours before baking.
STORE leftovers in an airtight container(s) in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZE. Allow the ingredients to cool and then wrap the dish with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil. If done properly, it will keep for up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
Reheat. The best way to reheat a large amount is in the oven or on the stovetop. Reheat slowly over low heat and add extra milk to help smooth out the texture.
If you are in a hurry, or on the go, reheat smaller portions in the microwave.
Chicken alfredo is made with a creamy white sauce, whereas chicken fettuccine can be made with any kind of sauce.
Nope! You can use any type of pasta that pairs well with rich and creamy sauces. Linguine or rigatoni would be great in this dish!
For more cheesy pasta recipes, check out:
- Creamy Garlic Penne Pasta
- Bowtie Pasta with Italian Sausage
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Three Cheese Pasta Bake
- Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Baked Tortellini
- Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Alfredo Bake Recipe
- 12 oz. pkg penne pasta
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts marinated in Italian dressing if desired
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 TB all-purpose flour
- 3 c half and half
- 3 c milk
- 3 c Kraft Italian Five Cheese Blend divided
- Italian Seasoning, garnish
- If time allows, always try to marinate your chicken. Throw them in a bag of Italian dressing and let sit overnight or even a few hours will help your chicken to be tender and full of flavor.
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 – 2 TB of oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Slice your marinated chicken in half so they are thinner pieces. This will help them cook through evenly.
- In a bowl mix salt, pepper, thyme and poultry seasoning and rub it on all sides of your chicken breasts. Add chicken to hot oil and cook on both sides until done (about 15-20 minutes). Remove to a plate to let cool.
- While the chicken is cooling, preheat your oven to 350°F and start on your sauce. In a separate large skillet melt the butter; add garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, mix in flour and stir until bubbly. Mix in half & half and milk, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- With your whisk, mix in 1½ cup of cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Remove sauce from heat.
- Cut your cooked chicken into bite size pieces and add to a large bowl. Add the pasta to your bowl and then the sauce. Mix everything to combine.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non stick spray. Add the pasta mixture to the pan and sprinkle with an additional 1½ cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.