Crunchy and fresh chicken taco salad is a weeknight dinner dream! Easy, flavorful, and a recipe that everyone will enjoy.
Another Easy Dinner Idea!
We LOVE this chicken taco salad recipe. It’s an easy dinner idea that is great for any day of the week. Simple, incredibly delicious, and great for customizing to different tastes.
This is a healthy recipe that is full of veggies, protein, and topped with the yummiest dressing. I really enjoy making this salad for lunches throughout the week- filling and good for you!The vegetable base combined with the chicken makes this meal healthy and lighter in calories. But don’t worry, its definitely filling enough that you won’t be hungry afterwards.
Everything about this recipe is a winner in my book! I’ve given you enough reasons to make this—you have no excuses!
Tips for Making Flavorful Chicken
The chicken in this salad is one of the best parts. I have a few tips and different ways to cook the chicken for this recipe. Read how to grill the chicken or cook it on the stove top in the paragraphs below.
- Allow thee grill to heat to about 400°F using medium heat..
- Place the chicken on the grill and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes before flipping. Cook another 5-7 minutes or until done (internal temp should be 165°F)
- Allow the cooked chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
To Cook on the Stove Top:
- Use a large non stick skillet. Heat one tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is very hot add the chicken to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes until nicely browned before flipping. Place a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. (internal temp should be 165°F)
- Allow the cooked chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
ASSEMBLE YOUR CHICKEN taco salad
LETTUCE. To me, the term “salad” indicates that the base of this meal is going to be a bed of greens. For this recipe specifically, I started with some simple chopped romaine lettuce, and then added the other ingredients from there.
ADDITIONS. The basic staples of this recipe are the chicken, cooked corn, black beans, and tortilla strips, but you can always add whatever your heart desires!
Other Additions/Toppings: Really just use your favorite taco toppings. Sometimes I’m in the mood for simplicity and other times more is better.
- Green onion
- Black beans
- CheeseBell peppers
- Sour Cream
To add some crunch, serve with tortilla chips or top with tortilla strips. Sometimes I’ll even buy tortilla bowls to fill with the delicious mix of taco ingredients. So delish!
Storing Tips + SIDE IDEAS
Making Ahead of Time. Most of the ingredients can be prepared a couple of days ahead of time and stored in the fridge. You’ll want to save cutting the avocados until right before serving as they get brown and mushy quickly. Also, store the chicken and stronger flavored items, such as bell peppers, in separate containers.
The chicken can also be frozen. Place in an airtight container and freeze for 4-6 months.
Leftovers: Store the leftovers in the fridge for 1-2 days. It may keep longer if there is not any dressing on it.
What to serve with Chicken Taco Salad?
You can serve this salad as a fully completed dish or set out the different ingredients for a make your own meal. It’s a great recipe to make for a crowd of people, and very customizable!
More Favorite Taco Variations:
Chicken Taco Salad Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ear corns shucked
- 2 Romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese shredded
- 2 avocados cubed
- cilantro chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- ½ cup dressing
- Add butter to frying pan and melt on MEDIUM heat. Add chicken breasts and sprinkle with taco seasoning and cook chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until internal temp is 165 degrees. Set aside to let cool.
- Clean out frying pan and add 1 tbsp butter and cook corn kernels until crisp (about 4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Dice chicken into small cubes.
- Layer salad pieces onto a tray and top with lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, avocados, cilantro, and tortilla strips. Serve individually and top with your favorite dressing.