Cornbread Casserole is sweet & gooey. It’s an elevated take on a classic boxed cornbread that will have you coming back for more!
Serve this Cornbread Casserole as the perfect side at your BBQ. Pair it with ribs or chili as the perfect complement!
casserole or cornbread?
One of the more notable differences between this casserole and regular cornbread is the texture. This cornbread casserole recipe is definitely more gooey and you’ll need a fork to eat it.
Using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix as the base makes this tasty Cornbread Casserole even more simple! Just a few added ingredients gives this cornbread something special.
Top your corn casserole with melted butter or honey for one sweet side (or even Honey Butter)! It’s perfect for pairing with soups and salads, or for serving at a BBQ or picnic!
Jiffy Cornbread casserole
PREP. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
COMBINE. Add butter, whole corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix and sour cream to a medium bowl and mix well.
Fold in eggs and sugar and mix until combined.
BAKE + ENJOY! Pour into a greased 9×9 inch dish and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Mixture will be more gooey than regular cornbread.
Cornbread casserole is done when it’s slightly browned on top and the center is set and doesn’t jiggle.
You can add a few additional ingredients to change it up without having to alter the recipe.
- Mixing in some shredded cheddar cheese or sprinkling it on top of the batter before you bake it is easy and delicious.
- Another easy and flavorful twist is to sprinkle in some taco seasoning
You can also mix in a combination of:
- veggies – chopped spinach, diced green chilis, diced bell peppers, sliced jalapeños
- diced onions – white or green
- meat – ground beef, cooked crumbled bacon
I want to make sure that your recipe turn out great every time so I’ve added a few notes for you to keep in mind when you’re making this delicious dish:
- Metal Pan. We baked this cornbread casserole in a ceramic baking dish. If you wish to make it in a metal pan keep in mind that it may cook faster so keep an eye on it.
- Corn. Make sure that you use cream-style corn. A regular can of whole kernel corn will not turn out as creamy.
- Make sure that you are using a Cornbread MIX and not just cornmeal.
- We used Jiffy Cornbread Mix for this recipe; other similar brands of the same amount can be used.
- It doesn’t matter if the mix is made with yellow cornmeal or white.
- Another aspect to keep in mind is that you are using just the dry mix. Do not make it into a batter.
Make ahead of time: You can prepare the casserole, cover it and store it unbaked in the fridge for a few hours. Let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before putting it in the oven.
STORE: Whether you make this casserole ahead of time, or want to save leftovers, the instructions are the same. Once the casserole has cooled, wrap with plastic, or place smaller portions in storage containers, and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To FREEZE, wrap tightly in plastic and again with foil. Label and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight.
REHEAT in the microwave or in the oven.
for More cornbread recipes, try:
Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- 9×9 inch baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add butter, whole corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix and sour cream to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Fold in eggs and sugar and mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×9 inch dish and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Mixture will be more gooey than regular cornbread.
- Cornbread casserole is done when it's slightly browned on top and the center is set and doesn't jiggle.
Sweet, moist, and easy to make! It’s the perfect side for BBQs.
This is straight up DELICIOUS! For sure going to be serving it with chili this fall!
This is the BEST cornbread!!!! It’s so thick and gooey, just the way I like it. It’s crazy easy to make too, even better! You NEED this at your next chili cook-off or bbq.
So glad you love the cornbread! Thanks for sharing!
Love the real corn in this recipe. YUMMY!
YUMMMMMMMMM…. pretty much sums up this casserole. Its easy to whip up and is so good.
This casserole is my absolute favorite! So soft and full of flavor!
Loved this cornbread casserole with our chili last night! Loved how the sweetness of the casserole complimented the chili. Can’t wait to make it again.
This is my kind of comfort food, it’s so dang good!
I love this cornbread casserole! It makes a great side dish.
Can yogurt be used if I don’t have sour cream?
I love this recipe because it takes a pot of Texas Pinto Beans to a new level. Dresses up the meal and adds flavor and color. I add sliced fresh tomatoes for a light salad.
I just made this recipe and I usually have to tweek a recipe, but NOTHING needs to be done to this recipe! It’s moist and flavorful, but most of all: It warms up incredibly! It seems better the second day! I could eat this just by itself. Thank you for hsaring your recipe with us.