This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Simple, smooth, and fudgy flourless chocolate cake is sure to get rave reviews. It’s a great cake to add to your favorite go-to desserts.
If you’re a fan of cake and chocolate, you’ll love this gluten-free flourless chocolate cake! If gluten isn’t an issue, we have a German Chocolate Cake, and Chocolate Sheet Cake that are also both to DIE for!
Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
Chocoholics rejoice, this flourless chocolate cake is going to make all your chocolate dreams come true! Every bite is smooth, fudgy, and simply decadent.
I have tried a few recipes for flourless chocolate cake before, but this one is by far the easiest. It tastes just as amazing as the ones that took twice as long to prepare. That’s a win in my book for sure!
I love a good cake, especially chocolate cake! And this one seriously melts in your mouth. This is a perfect dessert to wow your guests. It’s easy to make but looks impressive. And every bite is pure bliss.
Not every “flourless” recipe is safe for gluten-free diets, but this cake is. It’s also perfect for those who observe Passover!
Ready in 30 Minutes!
This flourless chocolate cake recipe really is so easy!
PREP. Line an 8″ round cake pan with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
BATTER. Melt butter in a large glass microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Add the chocolate chips and let sit for 3-4 minutes. Stir together till chips melt, adding additional cooking time if needed. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Whisk the sugar and vanilla into the melted chocolate mixture. Add the three eggs and whisk till well blended. Stir in the cocoa powder.
BAKE. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
COOL. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert it onto a cooling rack. Immediately flip right-side up onto another cooling rack. Cool completely.
Combine butter and chocolate chips in a glass heatproof bowl. Microwave for 1-3 minutes or till melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
Spread glaze over the cake. Let sit for several hours till chocolate sets.
Use a sharp knife dipped in hot water and then wiped dry to make even clean slices.
This gluten free chocolate cake starts with quality chocoalte.
Chocolate. For the best-tasting flourless chocolate torte, use high–quality chocolate products. It’s a little more money, but definitely worth the taste.
Mix by hand. No need for a stand mixer or electric mixer. In fact, using one can easily cause you to overmix the batter. All you need is a wire whisk to mix up this chocolate flourless cake.
Gluten-free. As long as the chocolate chips do not contain gluten, you can be confident in consuming this as a gluten-free dessert.
How to tell when the cake is done.
- No matter what size you bake this cake, the center should reach an internal temperature of 200°F.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs, it’s done.
- Allow ample time for the cake to cool and set. When cut, the cake should keep its shape and the texture should be like a truffle or gooey brownie.
Change up this flourless cake recipe with any of these delicious twists.
- Ganache. Replace the glaze with a thick chocolate ganache.
- Sugar substitute. Replace the white sugar with ¾ cup coconut sugar
- Toppings. Add toasted sliced almonds. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar or a berry mixture of fresh raspberries, blueberries, and sliced strawberries.
Different pans. This recipe can be adjusted to be made in different sized round pans.
- Two 8-inch round pans. Double the recipe. Due to the density of the cake, I don’t suggest layering it. Just serve them side by side.
- 9-inch pan. Decrease the bake time to 16-18 minutes.
- 10-inch round pan. Increase the ingredients by 50% and bake as directed.
- 6-inch pan. Increase the bake time to 35-40 minutes.
- Make them mini. Decrease the temperature to 350°F. Cupcakes bake for 15-20 minutes. Mini cupcakes bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Springform pan. It will make it really easy to invert the cake onto a cooling rack.
- I don’t suggest using square or rectangular pans as the cake won’t bake as evenly as it does in round pans.
Make ahead of time. This best flourless chocolate cake can be stored in the freezer to be enjoyed later. Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap.
Store in an airtight container or wrap again with aluminum foil. The cake can safely last for 3 months in the freezer.
STORE. Flourless chocolate cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. If refrigerated, it can last a day or two longer. In either case store in an airtight container. Store berries in a separate container.
I topped mine with raspberries, and I loved the fresh tang of the berries. Plus they look so pretty, don’t they? Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar to make it even fancier.
Yes, this recipe for flourless chocolate cake can be considered a type of chocolate torte. It is a dense and rich cake that is made without flour, resulting in a fudgy texture similar to a torte. Chocolate tortes are known for their intense chocolate flavor and are often served in small, rich slices as a decadent dessert.
If you beat the batter too much the cake will puff up and then fall. Be sure to gently mix in the ingredients and do not over-mix. It can also be helpful to mix the eggs into the batter one at a time. Be sure to bake at the right temperature for the right amount of time. Finally, let the cake cool before removing it from the pan.
Be sure to use regular unsweetened baking cocoa powder or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Do not use chocolate drink powder.
For More Decadent Chocolate Desserts, Try:
- Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Macarons
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Chocolate Eclairs
Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup high quality semi sweet chocolate chips
- Line a round 8" cake pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in a large glass bowl in the microwave. Add the chocolate chips and let sit for 3-4 minutes. Stir together till chips melt, adding additional cooking time if needed. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Add the three eggs and whisk till well blended. Stir in the cocoa powder.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Immediately flip the cake right side up onto another cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a glass heatproof bowl. Microwave for 1-3 minutes or till melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spread glaze over the cake. Let sit for several hours till chocolate sets.
- Serve the cake as is, or with fresh berries, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.