This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Did you know you can microwave corn on the cob? It’s the quickest and easiest way to cook juicy, crispy corn on the cob.
In the Microwave!
How great is the microwave? You can cook almost anything in there in just minutes. Have you ever cooked corn on the cob in your microwave? It’s great for easily removing the husk and cooking it at the same time.
Shucking the Corn
Did you know you can use the microwave to easily remove the husk? Just cut the stalk/stem end off about 2 inches from the bottom. Cook on HIGH for a few minutes.
Once done, hold the corn at the top (where the corn silk stick out) and shake. The steam created within the husk will allow the corn to slide right out the bottom.
- To cook the corn at the same time, cook on HIGH heat for 4-5 minutes. Or, If you just want to remove the husk only and not cook the corn, heat the corn for about 2 minutes. If you have more than one ear add 1-2 more minutes for each additional ear of corn.
How to Microwave Corn on the Cob
Cooking corn in the microwave is quick and easy, just use these steps to know how long to microwave corn on the cob!
PREP. Shuck your corn. Once that’s done, wet 4 paper towels, wring out, and wrap around each ear of corn. Place on a microwave-safe dinner plate.
MICROWAVE. Cook in the microwave for 3-6 minutes based on the amount of corn you are heating up.
- 1-2 ears of corn: cook for 3-4 minutes
- 4 ears of corn: cook for 5-6 minutes
The corn will be hot as you pull it out of the microwave, so use tongs or an oven mitt when removing the cooked corn.
Note. The wattage of your microwave and the size of the corn may affect the cooking time. Whether you are heating shucked corn or unshucked, test one ear out in your microwave to be sure you get the right timing and adjust accordingly.
How to Season
Make it spicy or keep it simple, either way, this corn is delicious!
Classic seasoning. Butter, salt, and black pepper are pretty common and delicious seasonings.
Variations. To change things up you can:
- sprinkle with garlic salt
- add paprika
- top with parmesan cheese
- use chili powder with a spritz of lime and fresh cilantro
- chili flakes or hot sauce
Storing + Serving Corn
STORE. Cooked corn on the cob can last in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
FREEZE. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months in a freezer-safe container.
Pair your corn on the cob with:
- Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Ranch Burgers
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Steak Marinade
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
The cobs need to retain moisture when being heated in the microwave. You can do this by wrapping the cobs in damp paper towels or keeping them in their husks. Both methods can be found in this post.
If you follow the directions there is very little risk of overcooking unless you accidentally add an extra zero to the microwave cook time.
I like classic butter with salt and pepper, but there are so many other delicious seasonings you can sprinkle on the corn cobs such as paprika, chili powder, Cajun blend, Mexican blend, and parmesan cheese.
For More Veggie Sides, Try:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Roasted Broccoli
- Veggie Cup Appetizers
- 4 corn cobs
- Shuck your corn. Once that's done, wet 4 paper towels, wring out, and wrap around each ear of corn. Place on a microwave-safe dinner plate.
- Cook in the microwave for 3-6 minutes based on the amount of corn you are heating up.1-2 ears of corn: cook for 3-4 minutes4 ears of corn: cook for 5-6 minutes
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.