These cheesy and delicious Pizza Muffins make for the perfect appetizer. They’re filled with melty mozzarella, and topped with a yummy garlic butter, more cheese, and mini pepperonis.
Pizzas in a muffin tin
Today’s recipe happens to be one that I know my kids will love for dinner but it also would be a great appetizer or side dish. They’re Cheesy Pizza Muffins, and they taste just like delicious pizza but don’t require all the work of making homemade pizza dough.
These little pizza bites are actually made from refrigerated buttermilk biscuits. You just add some butter, cheese, your favorite toppings, and then bake them in a muffin tin!
It’s seriously so simple and so delicious! I know there are so many different ways to serve pizza-type dishes but it’s nice to change it up from the standard triangle slice you normally get. And what kid doesn’t love the flavor of pizza??
MAking Pizza Muffins
I love recipes that use canned biscuits or crescent dough because they save SO much time. Although homemade biscuit dough is delicious, I feel like the refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough tastes just as good and cuts out a bit of time and effort.
FILLING. Open the can of biscuits and cut each biscuit in half, then flatten and round them out. Place TWO mozzarella balls in the center and wrap the dough around it to form a ball.
COATING. In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and butter, then add olive oil and salt. Roll each dough ball in the butter/oil for a few seconds and then place in a mini muffin pan open side up.
TOPPINGS. Combine the mozzarella and parmesan shredded cheese and add some on top of each dough ball, along with a few pepperonis (or whatever topping you like)!
BAKE. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes and brush with remaining garlic butter from skillet. Sprinkle with salt and basil and serve warm with marinara sauce. ENJOY!
Other Toppings: If you wish, you can wrap the pepperoni inside the pizza muffins. You can also change the toppings you add. Simply use your favorite toppings:
- Sausage crumbles
- Sliced olives
- Diced jalapenos
- Diced onions
- Ham or bacon bits
- Different cheeses: cheddar, monterrey Jack, colby
Make Ahead & Store
Prep ahead: Shape the rolls up to 2 hours ahead of time, cover and keep them in the fridge until ready to be baked. If you want to make them further in advance do not use a canned biscuit dough. Instead you can use thawed rhodes rolls or make your own homemade dough.
Leftovers: Once they have completely cooled you can store leftover rolls in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days or you can freeze them for 1-2 months. To reheat, bake them at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes or until hot.
For more great pizza-related recipes, check out:
- Mini Margherita Pizzas
- Deep Dish Mini Pizzas
- Easy Pizza Bake
- Taco Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Knots
Pizza Muffin Recipe
- 2 cans buttermilk biscuits (8 count/each)
- 32 cherry size mozzarella balls
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- mini pepperonis
- salt and basil to taste
- marinara for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Open can of biscuits, and cut each biscuit in half and then flatten and round out.
- Place TWO mozzarella balls in the center and wrap the dough around it to form a ball.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and butter. Add olive oil and salt.
- Roll each dough ball in the butter/oil for a few seconds and then place in a mini muffin pan open side up.
- Combine shredded cheese and add some to each dough ball topped with a few pepperonis.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and brush with remaining garlic butter from skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and basil and serve warm with marinara sauce.