This homemade Heart Shaped Pizza is a delicious and simple pizza that is perfect for Valentine’s Day or special occasions. You can use homemade pizza dough or even store bought dough to make it easier!
Hey guys! It’s me Natalie, back with a super easy and cute idea for Valentine’s Day!
My husband and kiddos LOVE pizza, so I thought it would be fun to make them a heart shaped pizza for the 14th. They loved it!! This pizza would be perfect for lunch or dinner. It’s easy, ready in just 30 minutes and can be customized however you like.
This can also be made for any special occasion and not just for Valentines, although the idea of a fun Pizza Bar on the 14th is right up our alley. Just have all the dough made and ready and let the kids top it with their favorite toppings including some heart-shaped pepperoni.
What is Blind Baking?
Baking blind (sometimes called pre-baking) is the process of baking a pie crust or other pastry/dough without the filling. Blind baking a pie crust is necessary when it will be filled with an unbaked filling (such as with pudding or cream pies), in which case the crust must be fully baked.
We blind baked this pizza crust so it would be more sturdy before adding the toppings. We often do this when making pizza.
How to make Heart Shaped Pizza:
DOUGH. To make this Valentines Day Pizza, we started off by using a ball of homemade pizza dough (our recipe is so easy and fool-proof)! You can use store-bought dough to simplify things even more.
I rolled the dough on a lightly-floured surface into the shape of a heart, then turned the edges over to form the crust. Brush with olive oil, then dock the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming.
BLIND BAKE & TOP. We then “blind baked” the crust to help make it more sturdy, then topped it with pizza sauce (we have a great red sauce and white sauce), mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and pepperoni.
I had one of my kiddos help me cut out the hearts and he had a blast!
BAKE AGAIN. Return to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the pepperoni is crispy. Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley or basil, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Serving and storing tips
How to Slice Heart Shaped Pizza? Just like a regular round pizza, we typically cut these into triangles… even if they aren’t perfect. You can also cut it into squares using a pizza cuter too.
Store. Although we rarely have leftovers when we are making homemade pizza, the best way to store any leftovers is to place in a Ziploc bag and keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or by warming up in the oven on a low setting.
What to serve with pizza heart? Since most people like to make this recipe on special occasions like Valentine’s Day we wanted to share a few more recipes with you to make it complete and to be festive. Here are some of our favorite sides and desserts to serve with this heart pizza.
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Pizza Salad
- Fried Zucchini
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Valentine’s Day Dirt Cake Parfaits
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
We had such a fun time making this, and even more fun eating it! It’s something everyone can help make, it requires minimal ingredients, and it’s ready in no time. If you’re looking for a cute idea for Valentine’s Day, look no further! This heart shaped pizza will be a hit with both kids and adults. Enjoy!
Pizza Quick Guide:
For more pizza recipes:
Heart Shaped Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
- 1 ball pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 30 pepperoni
- 1/4 c. pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley or basil *optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a pizza pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Fold each pepperoni in half and cut into heart shapes using kitchen shears. Place on a paper towel lined plate and microwave for 15 seconds on high. Dab any excess grease off, set aside.
- Lightly flour a surface, roll dough into a heart shape, about 16 inches tall. Fold edges over and press to create the crust.
- Transfer pizza dough to prepared baking sheet. Brush with olive oil, then dock the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming.
- Place in the oven and bake for 6 minutes. Remove and spread sauce over top, then add cheeses and pepperoni.
- Return to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the pepperoni is crispy. Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley or basil, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
For more great recipes from Natalie, head to Life Made Simple Bakes.