Adorable homemade heart shaped pizza is deliciously simple. This tasty dish is ready to enjoy in only 30 minutes!
Heart shaped pizza is perfect for lunch or dinner. It’s something everyone can help make, it requires minimal ingredients, and it’s ready in no time. Pizza is always a hit in our home, especially Buffalo Chicken Pizza and Chicken Alfredo Pizza, and what goes better with pizza than salad?!
Natalie from Life Made Simple has a super cute heart shape pizza recipe that I know you’re going to love! It is a super easy and cute idea for Valentine’s Day!
My husband and kiddos LOVE pizza, so I thought it would be fun to make them a heart shaped pizza for the 14th. They loved it!! We had such a fun time making this, and even more fun eating it. Just have all the dough made and ready and let the kids top it with their favorite toppings including some heart-shaped pepperoni.
If you’re looking for a cute idea for Valentine’s Day, look no further! This heart shaped pizza will be a hit with both kids and adults. Enjoy!
Making Heart Shaped Pizza
DOUGH. To make this Valentines Day Pizza, we started off by using a ball of homemade pizza dough (our recipe is so easy and fool-proof)! You can use store-bought dough to simplify things even more.
I rolled the dough on a lightly-floured surface into the shape of a heart, then turned the edges over to form the crust. Brush with olive oil, then dock the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming.
BLIND BAKE & TOP. We then “blind baked” the crust to help make it more sturdy, then topped it with pizza sauce (we have a great red sauce and white sauce), mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and pepperoni.
I had one of my kiddos help me cut out the hearts and he had a blast!
BAKE AGAIN. Return to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the pepperoni is crispy. Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley or basil, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
What is Blind Baking?
Baking blind (sometimes called pre-baking) is the process of baking a pie crust or other pastry/dough without the filling. Blind baking a pie crust is necessary when it will be filled with an unbaked filling (such as with pudding or cream pies), in which case the crust must be fully baked.
We blind baked this pizza crust so it would be more sturdy before adding the toppings. We often do this when making pizza.
Serving & storing tips
Just like a regular round pizza, we typically slice heart shaped pizza into triangles… even if they aren’t perfect. You can also cut it into squares using a pizza cuter too.
Although we rarely have leftovers when we are making homemade pizza, the best way to STORE any leftovers is to place in a Ziploc bag and keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or by warming up in the oven on a low setting.
To FREEZE homemade pizza you are going to want to prepare the pizza, but don’t bake it yet! Flash freeze it with all the toppings on it while it sits on a cookie sheet before you double wrap it in plastic wrap. Lay the pizza(s) flat in the freezer for up to 2 months and bake from frozen until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Since most people like to make this recipe on special occasions like Valentine’s Day we wanted to share a few more recipes with you to make it complete and to be festive. Here are some of our favorite sides and desserts to serve with this heart pizza:
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Pizza Salad
- Fried Zucchini
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Valentine’s Day Dirt Cake Parfaits
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Pizza Quick Guide:
For more pizza recipes:
Heart Shaped Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
- 1 ball pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 30 pepperoni
- 1/4 c. pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley or basil *optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a pizza pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Fold each pepperoni in half and cut into heart shapes using kitchen shears. Place on a paper towel lined plate and microwave for 15 seconds on high. Dab any excess grease off, set aside.
- Lightly flour a surface, roll dough into a heart shape, about 16 inches tall. Fold edges over and press to create the crust.
- Transfer pizza dough to prepared baking sheet. Brush with olive oil, then dock the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming.
- Place in the oven and bake for 6 minutes. Remove and spread sauce over top, then add cheeses and pepperoni.
- Return to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the pepperoni is crispy. Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley or basil, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
For more great recipes from Natalie, head to Life Made Simple Bakes.