Hi there! It’s Fiona stopping in from Just So Tasty, and today I’m sharing this easy pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s moist, full of fall flavors, and topped with creamy, smooth cream cheese frosting. You’re going to love it. Now I don’t know about you, but I always get excited for fall baking. But to be totally honest, I’m not a huge pumpkin pie person. So when pumpkin season rolls around I’m always looking for easier pumpkin desserts.
And this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is the perfect option. It’s filled with pumpkin, vanilla and fall spices. Then because we’re using brown sugar, there’s a delicious hint of caramel.
You’ll also love how moist the cake is thanks to a few key ingredients:
- We’re using oil
- 4 eggs
- Brown Sugar
- A little sour cream
- And pumpkin puree of course.
The batter comes together in less than 15 minutes, then it’s time to bake.
Once the cake is done baking and totally cooled, it’s topped with cream cheese frosting. I love how cream cheese frosting isn’t too sweet. Plus it goes so perfectly with spice cakes, carrot cakes, and of course – this pumpkin cake.
You can add a few chopped nuts to the top of each piece, or fall sprinkles look cute too.
I’ll definitely be making this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting over and over again this fall. And if you’re looking for an easy pumpkin recipe that’s perfect for potlucks or family dinners – this recipe is definitely for you!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup vegetable oil (canola works too)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream if needed
- chopped walnuts optional
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease & lightly flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the oil, sugars. vanilla and eggs using an electric mixer. Then beat in the sour cream and pumpkin puree.
- With the mixer on low speed, carefully beat in the flour mixture being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In a large bowl beat together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until soft. Then slowly beat in 3 cups powdered sugar.
- If the frosting seems too thin, beat in an extra ½ cup powdered sugar. If it seems too thick, beat in 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- Frost the cooled cake using a flat knife. Cut into slices, and optionally top each piece with chopped walnuts.
*Unfrosted cake can be wrapped tightly in clingfilm and frozen. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
**Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
I love pumpkin cake! Thank you Fiona for sharing this delicious recipe! Go check out, Just So Tasty for more delicious recipes!
Here is another great pumpkin recipe from Fiona: