Savory creamy Sausage Penne Pasta is quick, easy, and on the table in no time! It’s cheesy and sure to be a family favorite!!
I love a good pasta, and this Sausage Penne Pasta is a go-to weeknight dish. It’s just like our Italian Sausage Pasta, but with penne noodles! Serve it with Cheesy Garlic Bread or some fresh Caesar Salad.
Love me some pasta!
We love pasta, and this creamy Sausage Penne Pasta is practically a one pot wonder. After you cook the pasta, the sauce whips up in a skillet, then you mix it up and enjoy!!
The heavy cream and cheese makes the sauce velvety and delicious. And the ingredients combine easily to make it very simple and flavorful.
Best part is this recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight meal and is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
It is also loved by our kids, and let’s face it, none of us can say no to a warm bowl of pasta either!
How to make Sausage Penne Pasta
PASTA. Cook pasta according to package directions.
SAUSAGE. In a separate pan, cook the sausage and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
SAUCE. Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, basil and ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
TOSS + SERVE. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
There are so many things you can add to this Sausage Penne Pasta. Here are a few ideas:
- Add sautéed veggies such as sliced bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms. Sauté by adding a bit of olive oil to a pan. Once the oil is hot add the veggies and stir until tender.
- Instead of using mild Italian sausage you can use ground sausage, chicken sausage, turkey sausage, spicy sausage
- Use different cheese such as Mozzarella, or an Italian cheese blend.
RECIPE Tips + FAQ
A few tips to keep in mind:
- Sausage: You can adjust the flavor of this dish by the type of sausage that you use. Most everyone in my family prefers mild sausage. If it were just me then I’d use the spicier sausage for a bit of a kick.
- Pasta: I used penne pasta, but any similar sized pasta will work such as fusilli.
- Tomatoes: The tomatoes are seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano and typically come in 14.5oz cans, which is the size I used.
- Freezer meal: Make the dish directed. Allow it to cool a little before scooping it into a Freezer Ziploc.
How to store? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge right 3-4 days.
How to freeze? Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat over medium low in a skillet on the stove top. Add a little more milk or cream to help smooth out the texture.
What to serve with this dish? Here are some of our favorites:
for More pasta dishes:
Sausage Penne Pasta Recipe
- 16 oz penne pasta
- 1 lb Italian sausage, mild
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2-2 cans Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (divided)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a separate pan, cook the sausage and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, basil and ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.