What would we do without turkey gravy? Thanksgiving dinner would be lost without it! This creamy gravy recipe is simple and tastes so yummy on all of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes.
Wouldn’t you agree?! Thanksgiving dinner just wouldn’t be the same without the gravy to tie all the flavors together.
I love making homemade turkey gravy because it’s simple and always turns out so creamy and delicious. Some people might be intimidated to make a gravy from scratch but I promise you it’s super easy!
Whether you pour on everything or just on your mashed potatoes, this recipe is a keeper!! It’s just so good – Thick, creamy, and tons of flavor. And the best part is it can be made even if you don’t have turkey drippings.
How to Make Turkey Gravy
There are a couple different ways to make turkey gravy. You can make it with turkey drippings from your roasted turkey or you can start with butter.
If you are using turkey drippings, pour ¼ cup of the drippings from the roasting pan into a medium saucepan.
If you are using butter, then melt ¼ cup butter in a medium saucepan.
BOIL. Finish making the roux by adding ¼ cup of flour to the saucepan. Cook this over medium heat stirring constantly until it’s smooth. Add the 2 cups of turkey broth to the saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Season the gravy with the salt and pepper and stir. Serve it warm.
MAKE AHEAD: You can make turkey gravy up to 5 days ahead of time! I am all about a make-ahead meal for Thanksgiving and saving precious cooking time. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to serve, heat up over the stove.
What to serve with gravy
Turkey gravy is so tasty on many different dishes. Here are some of our go-to’s:
We love it over most of the savory dishes found at holiday meals, and because it’s so simple, it’s a must-have.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. And as we mentioned, no worries if you don’t have turkey drippings. The butter and turkey broth give it all the same yummy flavor. 😉
For more gravies and dressings:
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Caesar Salad Dressing
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Pesto Dressing
Turkey Gravy Recipe
- 1/4 cup turkey drippings or Butter
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 2 cup turkey broth
- 1/2 tsp salt less if you used turkey drippings
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- If you are using turkey drippings: pour 1/4 cup of the drippings from the roasting pan into a medium saucepan. If you are using Butter then melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan.
- Finish making the roux by adding 1/4 cup flour to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add the 2 cups of turkey broth. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Season with the salt and pepper and stir.