Everyone loves this crunchy and flavorful Dorito casserole. It’s layered with lots of meat, cheese and (of course!) nacho cheese flavored Doritos!
Taco Casserole + Doritos
Casseroles also travel well and feed a bunch of people so they are perfect for bringing over to a friends house or cooking for a crowd. Casseroles just can’t be beat.
This Dorito casserole is super tasty. I love all of the Mexican flavors mixed in with the crunch Dorito chips. Each layer has a different flavor which all combines for one incredible bite! Put this on your dinner menu this week- you can thank me later!!
How to Layer
Before you start to layer the casserole, cook the ground beef in a skillet until brown. Drain the fat and add taco seasoning, sour cream and half of the enchilada sauce (try our homemade green enchilada sauce). Now you’re ready to layer!
Grease a 9×13 pan and layer ⅓ of Doritos over the bottom of the dish, crushing them only slightly. Next, add ½ of the ground beef mixture, then ⅓ of the cheese. Add another layer with ⅓ Doritos, slightly crushed, the rest of the ground beef and ⅓ of the cheese. Add the reaming chips and cheese over the top.
Cover the casserole with foil (tent it so that the melting cheese will not stick to the foil). Bake the Dorito casserole for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake it for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Feel free to change up some of the ingredients—you could use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Or red enchilada sauce instead of green. You can even use regular tortilla chips instead of Doritos. Add in any vegetables too. Peppers would be great. Possibilities are endless!
What to serve it with?
You definitely need to serve this casserole with your favorite tortilla chips! You could also serve it with warm homemade tortillas on the side. Or even some cilantro lime rice or Spanish rice would be delicious.
Tips for Storing + Making Ahead
This is a great recipe to make-ahead of time. Prepare everything up until the cooking part. Keep it covered in the fridge and cook the next day when you need it.
You can also prepare this in a freezer safe container and keep it airtight in the freezer for up to 2 months and cook it when you’re ready to eat it for dinner.
We just recommend letting it thaw in the fridge overnight before making. We also typically leave the cheese off and add fresh shredded cheese before baking so it’s nice and cheesy. Cold cheese often bakes instead of melts. 😉
We hope you love this flavor recipe as much we do! We couldn’t believe how delicious this combination of ingredients would be, but we’re glad we tried it. Some great sides to serve it with include: Mexican Street Corn, Mexican cornbread, and Southwest salad.
For more casseroles, check out:
- Slow Cooker Hashbrown Casserole
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Chicken and Green Bean Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole
Dorito Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef lean
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 oz green enchilada sauce
- 6-7 cups Nacho Cheese Doritos divided
- 4-5 cups Monterey Jack cheese divided
- cilantro, avocados, tomatoes optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef until brown. Drain and add taco seasoning, sour cream and the enchilada sauce.
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Layer 1/3 of Doritos over the bottom of the dish, crush them only slightly. Next, add 1/2 of the ground beef mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese.
- Add another layer with 1/3 Doritos, slightly crushed, the rest of the ground beef and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Add the reaming chips and cheese over the top. Cover with foil (tent it so that the melting cheese will not stick to the foil.) Bake for 30 min.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Let rest 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes, avocados and cilantro.