A cheesy, hearty, party dip made in the crockpot with only 4 ingredients! Served with tortilla chips, this hamburger queso dip is always a hit at parties.
Every year, my family spends New Year’s Eve eating appetizers, playing games and having fun. It’s the last night to “pig out” before we start our New Year’s resolutions the next day. Of course we round out the selection with some Jalapeno Poppers and Bacon Wrapped Smokies!
Super Simple and Delicious
The recipe I’m sharing today is one we have at many Luna functions. It’s called Hamburger Queso, and it’s amazing!!! My cousin, Rene, is the one who is usually assigned this dish but it’s one we all have made for our functions and parties at home.
It’s done in the crockpot which means it’s SUPER simple and is always a party favorite. It can be served with tortilla chips or Fritos. We make it a ton when we are enjoying Mexican food and when we do, people usually put the queso on the tacos too!
If you are looking for a delicious and simple appetizer to enjoy at some upcoming holiday functions, I definitely recommend this Hamburger Queso Dip. It’s SO good. 🙂
Making hamburger dip:
BEEF. Cook and season beef, drain.
BLEND. Pour salsa in a blender and mix until smooth (this is an optional step, skip if you like the chunks)
SLOW COOK. Put meat, salsa and remaining ingredients in a crockpot on med-high for at least 2 hours or until melted together. Enjoy with chips and be prepared to not be able to stop eating!
- Substitute hamburger with shredded chicken, ground or shredded turkey or ground sausage
- For more spice add cayenne pepper, sliced jalapenos, or red chili flakes
- Instead of a can of rotel tomatoes you can use a can of diced tomatoes and a can of diced chilies.
- Substitute the Velveeta with equal parts cream cheese and shredded cheddar.
- Do not drain the can of rotel. The recipe relies on the extra liquid to get the right texture.
No crockpot? No problem. You can easily make this hamburger cheese dip without one. The microwave and stove work just as well.
- Microwave: Use a microwave safe dish add salsa, tomatoes and velveeta cut into cubes. Microwave on High for 3 minutes. Stir and microwave for 2 more minutes. Stir until smooth then add the cooked hamburger.
- Skillet: Brown the hamburger add remaining ingredients and cook over medium low heat until smooth.
Tips and Troubleshooting
How do I keep the dip from getting hard?
- Serve it straight out of the slow cooker
- Only put out a small portion of dip at a time
- Use a chafing dish (food warmer)
What do I do if the dip it too thick or thin? If it’s too thick, add a little milk. If it’s too thin, add more cheese. You can also use flour or cornstarch. In a separate bowl place ½ cup of cheese sauce and mix in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or flour. Mix until smooth then return it back to the main sauce.
How to store leftover queso dip: Place leftover dip in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also store leftovers in the freezer for up to 6 months. However, the texture may become a little bit grainy. To reheat: Thaw, if applicable, and heat in the microwave or skillet.
I must warn that this Queso is pretty addicting. If you try it, I know you’ll agree!
Here are more favorite Appetizer Dips we love:
Hamburger Queso Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic
- 1 jar medium chunky pace salsa
- 1-2 cans rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 small block velveeta cheese
- Cook and season beef, drain.
- Pour salsa in a blender and mix until smooth (this is an optional step, skip if you like the chunks)
- Put meat, salsa and remaining ingredients in a crockpot on med-high for at least 2 hours or until melted together. Enjoy with chips and be prepared to not be able to stop eating!