Macaroni and Cheese with ham smothers noodles and ham in heavy cream and 3 kinds of cheeses. It’s a recipe everyone will love!
Macaroni and cheese with ham is absolutely sinful and will be loved by all. We usually have it as a side dish, but it’s great as a main dish too. For more cheesy pasta try Cheesy Garlic Tortellini Pasta, Three Cheese Pasta Bake, or Cheesy Bowtie Pasta Bake.
It’s better with Ham!
I can’t remember the first time I had this recipe, but it was years ago and my one sister, Tara, made for one of our Sunday dinners. It quickly became a favorite Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
I don’t know if it’s the white sauce or the chunks of ham, but the recipe is PHENOMENAL and we’ve been making it ever since we first tried it years back.
The recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis of Food Network, and if you’ve ever seen her show or tried any of her recipes, then you’d know just how good they are.
We love our classic Mac and Cheese with elbow noodles and a cheddar cheese blend, but this version is just as good with its egg noodles, Italian cheese and ham.
Making Mac and Cheese with Ham
PREP. Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
NOODLES. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Add salt to water for boiling. Do not rinse noodles.
SAUCE. In a lager bowl, whisk the cream, milk, flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Add any more salt and pepper, if needed.
BAKE. Transfer to your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 ½ cups shredded cheese over the noodle mixture. Bake at 350 for approximately 30-35 minutes. Until sauce is bubbly and the cheese melts, slightly browning on top, about 20 minutes.
SERVE. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Tips, Variations + SToring Info
The original recipe calls for a blend of fontina, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. I simply bought a package of Italian blend cheese which is a blend of mozzarella, provolone, Romano, Parmesan, fontina and Asiago cheeses.
If you prefer to grate your own cheeses you can make a blend with your favorites to equal 3.5 cups.
We like to add ham cubes to this Mac and cheese recipe. Of course you can leave it out if you wish. Some other variations that I think would be great include:
- Top with cooked bacon bits
- Spice it up with red chili flakes or roasted red peppers
- Add broccoli florets
- Replace ham with grilled chicken
- Sprinkle a layer of bread crumbs on top before baking to give it a crunchy finish
To prepare this dish the night before, cover the Ian and keep it in the fridge until ready to bake. Allow it to sit at room temper for 15-20 before placing it in the oven.
Make this as a freezer meal. Make sure the pasta is cooked al dente. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. Label and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw before baking.
For other favorite sideS, check out:
- Heavenly Rolls
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham Recipe
- 12 oz egg noodles wide
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt plus more if needed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 3 ½ cups Italian cheese grated & divided
- 6 oz ham cubes
- 1 tbsp parsely fresh, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp basil dried
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Add salt to water for boiling. Do not rinse noodles.
- In a lager bowl, whisk the cream, milk, flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to.
- Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Add any more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer to your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 ½ cups shredded cheese over the noodle mixture.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 30-35 minutes. Until sauce is bubbly and the cheese melts, slightly browning on top, about 20 minutes.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis.