Savory Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls are deliciously addicting and ready in under 30 minutes. They make a tasty breakfast or appetizer!
Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls make a great breakfast food, like our homemade Breakfast Sausage, or a tasty appetizer like our Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños. These Sausage Rolls are perfect for any occasion!
Breakfast, Dinner, or Appetizer!
If you like sausage, then you need to try this recipe! Mixed with delicious seasonings like basil, oregano, and thyme, these Sausage Rolls are exploding with flavor.
The soft puff pastry hugging the sausage is a great combination and makes a perfect addition to breakfast or dinner. They also make yummy bite-sized party appetizers!
If you’ve ever had Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls from an English bakery, then you know how good they are. This is a quicker and smaller version, but they are just as good.
How to Make sausage rolls
Sausage Rolls are easy and delicious!
FILLING. In a large bowl mix together sausage, basil, oregano, and thyme, until all the seasonings are evenly distributed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal portions and set aside.
DOUGH. On a floured surface, unfold the pastry dough and gently roll it out to slightly thin it. Cut it into 3 long rectangle sections
ASSEMBLE. Place the sausage down the center of each section leaving an inch or so of pastry on either side. (The meat mixture was divided to help spread it evenly. Add two meat portions to each pastry rectangle.)
SEAL & CUT. Bring the sides together, pinch to seal, and pat down slightly. Repeat with the remaining sausage and dough. Turn over (seam side down) and cut each “log” into 6 equal portions about 2″ long.
BAKE. Cut slits into each piece, brush the top with egg, and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about one inch apart.
Bake at 375°F for 17-19 minutes, or until golden brown and the meat is cooked.
How much to make. As an appetizer before dinner: 3-4 per guest. If serving only appetizers (like at a cocktail party): 5-6 per guest, assuming you have other appetizer options.
Keep warm and crisp for a party. Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls can be made ahead of time. Since they taste best when warm, either keep them warm or reheat them.
- Keep warm. Turn the oven to 200°F or use your oven’s warm setting. Place the puff pastry in a single layer on a baking sheet and keep them in the oven. For longer than 20-30 minutes, place a piece of tin foil over the tray to help keep them from drying out.
- Reheat. Turn the oven to 350°F. Place the puff pastry in a single layer on a baking sheet and heat for about 10 minutes (20 if frozen).
Soggy bottom. Here are 3 top tips to avoid a soggy bottom.
- Use cold dough and cold sausage. When either one warms up before the puff has the chance to bake it will result in a soggy crust.
- Whip up an egg wash (beat together 1 teaspoon water and one egg) and brush it over the top of the rolled-out puff pastry dough before adding the sausage mix. This will help create a barrier between the sausage and the crust.
- Use a cold baking tray. If the baking tray is warm it will prematurely heat up the dough before being baked resulting in a soggy crust.
Homemade puff pastry dough. I like the simplicity of using store-bought puff pastry, but if you have a great puff pastry recipe that you want to use, go for it! Use 17 oz of homemade pastry, roll it out with a rolling pin, and fill as directed.
This appetizer is so easy to change up. Here are a few ideas to do that:
- Use Pie Crust instead of puff pastry. It won’t be as puffy, but it’ll be flaky and quite delicious.
- Add bell peppers, onion, or cheese to the pork.
- Add the egg wash and sprinkle the tops with paprika or shredded cheese.
- Use a sweet or savory spread such as apricot jelly or red pepper jelly. Once the pastry has been rolled out add a thin layer of the spread then cover it with the sausage. Serve the jelly on the side as a dipping sauce for even more flavor.
- Other dipping sauces include classic ketchup, spicy ketchup, Honey Mustard, or spicy mayo.
Make ahead of time. Prepare Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls as directed, but instead of baking, cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the fridge or freezer.
- To refrigerate: Cover the Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls securely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Follow the remaining instructions and bake as directed.
- To freeze: Line them up on a baking sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours. Once they feel solid, transfer them to a freezer safe airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Bake straight from the freezer. Brush with egg whites first and bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes.
STORE leftovers in an airtight container. Separate layers with parchment or wax paper. Refrigerate for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
REHEAT individual servings in the microwave or toaster oven. If reheating several at once, then I suggest using the oven set at 350°F. Bake them for 10-12 minutes or 20-25 minutes if they’re frozen.
For more recipes with sausage:
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
- Cheesy Breakfast Ring
- Crescent Roll Sausage Bake
- Cheesy Sausage Dip
- Sausage And Potatoes
Puff Pastry Sausage Roll Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 17 oz frozen puff pastry thawed
- 2 eggs beaten
- poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together sausage, basil, oregano, and thyme, until all the seasonings are evenly distributed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal portions and set aside.
- On a floured surface, unfold the pastry dough and gently roll it out to slightly thin. Cut it into 3 long rectangle sections
- Place sausage down the center of each section leaving an inch or so of pastry on either side. (The meat mixture was divided to help spread it evenly. Add two meat portions to each pastry rectangle.)
- Bring the sides together, pinch to seal, and pat down slightly. Repeat with the remaining sausage and dough. Turn over (seam side down) and cut each "log" into 6 equal portions about 2" long.
- Cut slits into each piece, brush the top with egg, and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
- Place on a baking sheet, about one inch apart. Bake at 375°F for 17-19 minutes, or until golden brown and the meat is cooked.
- Serve warm or cold, and ENJOY! NOTE: Rolls can also be put in the freezer to be baked later.
They look sooo good!! Have to try it for dinner, my family will love it!
Thank you for all the goos recepies.
You are so welcome!! They are so good and hope you’ll like them too!! Thank you!
I HAVE MADE THESE AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO DEFROST THEM BEFORE SERVING?
I have not tried freezing them, then baking. You could get them out the night before & just stick them in the fridge or just baking them frozen. You may need to add a little more time to the baking. I hope that helps & hope they turn out.
If you freeze do you need to thaw before baking? Sweet italian saUsage sounds like it would work well with this.
These are ok. They end up greasy and some of the dough will be mushy. I made them two ways; one as directed rolling with sausage at end and also by spreading sausage all over the. Rolling. Spreading was better although overall still greasy. Could also use more flavor, maybe cheese too.
Fabulous! I make them all the time. Didn’t have poppy seeds so I just lightly sprinkled course black pepper. My husband loved them.
That works 🙂 Glad you like it! Thank you!
These were very easy and tasted great! A bit different from the sausage balls or pinwheels. I had peach preserves-so used those as I constructed the uncooked rolls. Also Cooked for 20-21 min. To insure meat was cooked through.
You are correct-difficult to decide which sauce we liked the best-pepper jelly or honey mustard!
These sound wonderful but I want to make sure if I cook the sausage before I put it in the wraps? If not how do you keep the grease from making them soggy? Thanks so much! Happy Thanksgiving
What type of pork sausage ? Breakfast sausage ? Or just a roll of pork sausage like from Aldi ?
Yep, a roll of pork sausage is great!
I like these for any occasion! Especially for breakfast and appetizers.
These were so easy and flavorful. i didn’t expect to like them as much as I did. Would recommend!