Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, back to share another delicious recipe with you! These red velvet waffles are indulgent and delicious, and perfect for a special occasion breakfast or brunch! They’re simple and easy to make, and are just slightly crisp on the outside and light and soft on the inside. They smell amazing while they are cooking and have the perfect vanilla flavor with just a touch of chocolate.
I don’t usually use a lot of food coloring in my cooking, but there is just something so fun about red velvet! My eight year old daughter is obsessed with red velvet everything, and she couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw these waffles. I think a little food coloring is okay in moderation, especially when it helps create waffles this fun and festive!
We piled our waffles high with powdered sugar, homemade whipped cream, and fresh berries, then drizzled them with maple syrup, and they were amazingly delicious. This is definitely a recipe that I will make again and again for birthdays and special occasions!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ ounce red food coloring
- powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- fresh berries
- maple syrup
- Preheat and lightly grease a waffle iron.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Cook in preheated waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. (I used about ⅓ cup of waffle batter for each waffle, but size will vary according to your waffle iron.)
- Let waffles cool slightly, then add toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
adapted from What the Fork Food Blog
I love anything red velvet, and these waffles look AMAZING!
Thanks for sharing Alicia!!
For more great recipes from her, head over to The Baker Upstairs!
If you want to see even more great breakfast recipes, check out these posts:
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all recipes, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!