Chewy, peanut butter Rice Krispie bars topped with a rich, chocolate and butterscotch frosting. It’s hard to say no to these delicious chocolate Scotcheroos!
An All-Time Favorite!
Today’s recipe is one that we have been making FOR YEARS!! In fact, I can’t remember when Scotcheroos weren’t a dessert staple in our home.
Not only are they simple, but they’re chewy, full of flavor and made pretty quickly. They’re also a treat that everyone loves because they include delicious flavors like: Rice Krispies, peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch. Definitely can’t go wrong with that combo!
We have also always loved treats with cereal like Rice Krispie treats, and because of that we always keep the ingredients on hand for them and for Rice Krispie Scotcheroos. And again – they’re so easy that even the kids can make them which is even better!
How to Make Scotcheroos
Making these treats are a cinch!! And we love that they are quick too. Just remember that you do need to leave time for them to set up in the end, but you can always speed that up by sticking them in the fridge or freezer for a bit. 😉
PREP. Grease a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
CEREAL. Pour Rice Krispies into a large bowl and set aside.
BOIL. Bring peanut butter, sugar, & corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot. Be sure to stir constantly.
MIX. Pour hot mixture over Rice Krispies in large bowl & mix well. Pour into greased 9×13 pan and gently press down with a spatula.
TOPPING. Melt chocolate chips & butterscotch chips together in a small pot, stirring constantly on low heat. Pour over pressed Rice Krispies and let set before cutting and serving.
Just a few things to keep in mind when making these delicious chocolate Scotcheroos!
- Don’t over heat the sugar/corn syrup mixture. Remove the mixture just as it is beginning to boil otherwise overheating will end up creating a dry and crumbly treat.
- To speed up the set time you can stick the treat in the fridge. However, allow them to come back to room temperature before biting into them.
- Regular creamy peanut butter works best, but you can use natural organic peanut butter. Just be sure to stir so the oil is incorporated before adding the sugar.
Add a pretty butterscotch swirl: After you have melted the chocolate/butterscotch chips together you will want to melt a separate bowl of butterscotch chips. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly over the treat. Then drizzle the plain butterscotch over the chocolate. Finally, use a toothpick to drag the butterscotch drizzle through the chocolate creating a pretty pattern.
You can also add sprinkles or crushed candies to the top of the chocolaty layer.
How to Store
STORE in an airtight container for up to 3 days (although we are afraid you may not have leftovers!) 😉
TO FREEZE: Store the entire block or as individual treats. Wrap in plastic wrap then wrap again with foil or place in a Ziploc. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating.
For More Bar Recipes:
For More Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- White Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Chex Scotcharoos
- Peanut Butter Chews
- Peanut Butter Balls
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- Pour Rice Krispies into a large bowl and set aside.
- Bring peanut butter, sugar, & corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot. Be sure to stir constantly.
- Pour hot mixture over rice krispies in large bowl & mix well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and gently press down with a spatula.
- Melt chocolate chips & butterscotch chips together in a small pot, stirring constantly on low heat. Pour over pressed Rice Krispies and let set before cutting and serving.