One of everyone’s favorite cookies in bar form – these soft Sugar Cookie Bars are simple and are topped with a delicious buttercream frosting that makes this dessert irresistible.
If you like classic sugar cookies, you’ll love them just as much in bar form! It’s the perfect dessert to feed a crowd, since it makes a whole sheet pan full! We also have a cherry version and pistachio version.
Family-Favorite Sugar Cookie Bars
We recently decided to try making Sugar Cookie Bars. We already have Cookie Bars and Snickerdoodle Bars, so why not have some bar form of these yummy cookies?! We’re so glad we tried them, because they have since become a family go-to for so many functions.
We love that these are more simple than rolling out and cutting and frosting each cookie but also love that this recipe feeds quite a crowd. They’re great for any function and can be customized with frosting and sprinkles for any holiday or get together.
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
As mentioned, these bars are easier to make than cookies since no rolling or cutting out is needed. They’re also easier to frost than individually frosting each sugar cookie (even if they’re so worth it!) 😉
Not going to lie, this recipe calls for quite a bit of butter and cream cheese which is probably why they are so good, but trust me on this – they’re delicious, and you’ll love them!!
Here are some of our tips in making perfect sugar cookie bars:
- Be sure to thoroughly beat the butter and sugar. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Line the pan with parchment paper. This will make removing the cookie bars so much easier.
- Spray cooking spray on your hands and press the dough evenly in the sheet.
- Watch carefully and DO NOT over-bake the cookies. If anything, underbake and allow them to finish baking in the pan.
- Once the frosting has been applied stick the pan in the fridge to set the frosting. This will help make the bars easier and cleaner to cut.
Make ahead & store
Make Ahead. You can make the dough ahead of time to bake later. Here is what we suggest:
- Room temperature: Cover bowl and store for 2-4 hours
- Refrigerator: Roll the dough into a thick log shape. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: Roll the dough into a thick log shape. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap then again with aluminum foil. Label and freeze for about 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and follow the recipe instructions to bake.
How to store sugar cookie bars?
- Room temperature: Store the cookies in the baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. To help keep the cookies fresh don’t cut until you’re ready to serve them. Store at room temperature for 3-5 days. Store leftover cookies, layered, in an airtight container.
- To freeze baked cookies cut them into bars. (If they are frosted flash freeze to set the frosting.) Use a freezer safe airtight container to layer the bars. Separate layers with wax or parchment paper. Freeze for 3-6 months.
I hope you enjoy these sugar cookie bars with cream cheese as much as we did. So soft, so yummy and so easy to make!! And I also love that it makes a ton which is great for events!!
For more Sugar Cookies, check out:
Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and 12 oz. cream cheese until well blended and a bit frothy (a few minutes).
- Add the vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and baking soda - mix well.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat for a few minutes. Pour into a large jelly roll pan (use parchment paper if desired) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Once cake is cool - add frosting. To make, beat ½ cup butter and 4 oz. cream cheese until mixed well. Add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring. Add to cookies. ENJOY!