This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy hashbrown breakfast casserole is one of our all-time favorite savory breakfast dishes! It feeds a crowd and takes minutes to whip up.
This hashbrown breakfast casserole is probably on my list of top 10 breakfast recipes. It’s perfect because it feeds a crowd, it’s ultra simple to throw together, and it’s actually really inexpensive like our favorite Breakfast Casserole and Mexican Breakfast Casserole!
An EGG Casserole
I think I’ve mentioned this a gazillion times before, but I LOVE breakfast recipes – especially savory ones!
This hashbrown breakfast casserole includes all the best breakfast items – hash browns, eggs, and bacon. Using those items, you will just need a few minutes to make this breakfast casserole and you have an amazing easy breakfast casserole to enjoy!
A Quick Prep Casserole
This hash brown egg casserole is perfect for feeding crowds or making ahead of time!
PREP. Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
ASSEMBLE. Cook diced bacon in a skillet until browned and put into a large bowl.
Stir in potatoes, eggs, cheeses, and salt & pepper. Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
BAKE. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. ENJOY!
This hashbrown breakfast casserole recipe is pretty adaptable for any dietary needs or eating preferences your family members might have.
Variations. Try any of these tasty alternatives:
- Cottage cheese. Swap cottage cheese out for ricotta cheese (a little drier and higher in fat content), greek or unsweetened yogurt, sour cream (more tart), or mayonnaise.
- Vegetarian. Omit the meat altogether and maybe add some cooked veggies like mushrooms and bell peppers instead.
- Meat. Add cubed ham or cooked breakfast sausage along with the bacon. Or you can opt to use either of those instead of bacon.
- Garnish. Add chopped green onions for some extra flavor or top with chopped parsley.
Store or Make Ahead
Make ahead of time. Egg and hashbrown casserole actually works great as an overnight casserole! Throw it together like normal, cover it, and refrigerate it overnight. Then add an extra 10 minutes or so to the baking time in the morning.
Be aware, however, that the heavier ingredients might settle to the bottom. Give it a quick stir in the morning to remedy this.
STORE. Leftover easy hashbrown breakfast casserole can be stored in individual serving containers and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. Reheat in the microwave.
FREEZER MEAL. Freeze this dish before or after it has baked and cooled. Just cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and foil, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to cook the hash brown breakfast casserole, let it THAW in the fridge overnight and then bake it as usual. If it’s already baked, thaw, and then heat for about 30 minutes at 350°F or until the middle is no longer cold.
You can skip the frozen hash browns and make your own. Begin by peeling 4 medium white potatoes and shred them with a box grater. At this point, you will want to let them soak in cold water for 10-15 minutes to help remove the excess starch. Drain and dry them before using them in the recipe.
When baking breads and cakes you will want to use a metal pan, but a casserole dish should be ceramic or glass.
If the top is browning more quickly than the middle is baking, tent a piece of aluminum foil over the top to keep it from getting too crispy and dry.
For More Breakfast CAsseroles, Try:
- Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
- French Toast Bake
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bacon diced
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- 9 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups cottage cheese
- 1¼ cups shredded swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Cook diced bacon in a skillet until browned and put into a large bowl.
- Stir in potatoes, eggs, cheeses, and salt & pepper. Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. ENJOY!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.