Crispy, creamy crock pot green bean casserole is beyond easy and delish. It’s just as tasty as the original oven-baked classic.
This easy green bean casserole has always been one of my favorite dishes. You can make it before any guests arrive, and it is oh so easy to throw together. For more must-make sides check out Traditional Homemade Stuffing, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, and the BEST Mashed Potatoes.
It’s Just as Good in the Slow Cooker!
We are big fans of this green bean casserole in our home. We stock up on fried onions so we can have this several times throughout the year!
I love having the option to cook this in a slow cooker. It allows me more room in the oven for baking other items, and it’s easy as dumping in the ingredients and letting it do it’s thing. To achieve that crispy top, just pop it in the oven for a few minutes and you’re good to go.
This casserole was super easy, and just as good as a baked casserole!
How to Make It
COMBINE. Add the green beans to the crock pot. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour the soup mixture over the green beans and stir to combine. Stir in half of the French-fried onions.
COOK. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with the remaining French-fried onions.
French Onions: If you want to top the casserole with crisp french fried onions, then preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread half of the fried onions on a baking pan and bake for 5 min. This will crisp them up and you can sprinkle them on top of the green bean casserole.
This is a pretty simple and classic recipe and is delicious as is. However, you can easily change it up! Here are a few ideas…
- Add crumbled bacon or shredded cheese to the top.
- Change the kind of cheese—you can replace the parmesan with another cheese such as Mozzarella.
- This recipe calls for frozen green beans, but you can use fresh or canned beans.
NOTE: Typically 1 can of green beans is about 14.5 oz which is about 8 oz frozen beans or ¾ lb fresh. For this recipe you’ll need 2 ½-3 lb fresh or 24-32 oz frozen beans.
Making Ahead + Storing Info
You can prep this casserole to MAKE AHEAD OF TIME, but don’t add the french fried onions on top. Cover the casserole and keep in the fridge. When you’re ready, heat the casserole in the crock pot and add the onions as directed in the recipe.
After cooking this casserole can be left in the slow cooker on warm for up to 2 hours.
You can STORE leftover casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
REHEAT in the microwave or the oven. To crisp up the french fried onions, place the leftovers under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
For More Veggie Sides, try:
- Cauliflower Casserole
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Creamed Corn
- Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- Best Mashed Potatoes
Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 2 16 ounce packages frozen green beans
- 2 10.75 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 6 ounce can French-fried onions
- Add the green beans to the crock pot. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour the soup mixture over the green beans and stir to combine. Stir in half of the French-fried onions.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with the remaining French-fried onions.