Looking to make chicken tacos the easiest way? We love this slow cooker version which involves salsa, taco seasoning, cilantro and more. You’ll never find an easier way to enjoy tacos!
We love to fry up our chicken tacos, but sometimes we are gone for the day and these slow cooker tacos do just the trick. Do this with any of your favorite meats and sub out the chicken for pork or beef.
Chicken Tacos in the Crock Pot!
You guys know how much we love Mexican food!
We have been making and eating tacos for as long as I can remember, and in the past we’ve always fried them. We wanted to come up with another recipe that was delicious but didn’t need to be fried and decided the slow cooker was the best option.
With a salsa and seasoning mixture and chicken cooked in the crock pot, today’s recipe happens to be so flavorful and so easy. It’s definitely a great way to have dinner prepped in no time and great for school days and even crazy days.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken TacoS
We like to use our homemade salsa recipe for these crockpot chicken tacos, but store bought works too!
Just mix the salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning and cilantro in your slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top of the salsa mixture and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Spoon salsa over chicken breasts, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.
Once done, remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred with forks and return back to slow cooker to serve from making sure to put slow cooker to WARM.
You can serve this delicious chicken in corn tortillas, flour tortillas, or even in a lettuce wrap.
To make tortillas crispy: add olive oil to a skillet. Heat the tortillas until they’re hot and crispy. Set on a paper towel.
Instant Pot Instructions: To make in the Instant Pot is easy and quick, The chicken turns out tender and delicious.
- (Insert whatever ingredients are on the RC here)
- Cook on Manual and set the timer for 5-8 minutes. (check your manual for specific times) The pot will take about 10 minutes to pressurize and then the countdown will begin.
- When the pot beeps vent the steam before removing the lid.
Recipe Notes, Tips + TOPPINGS
Just some tips and notes for these tacos to keep in mind:
- If you use bone in chicken be sure to remove the skin.
- Use equivalent amount of Beef or Pork instead of chicken
- Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Add chipotle peppers for some spice
- This chicken taco meat also tastes great in chimichangas, quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, salad, nachos, soup
Leftover Taco meat can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months!
Want some more topping ideas and sides to go with these tacos. Check out these suggestions:
- Pico de Gallo
- Shredded Cheese
- Roasted Corn
taco Side Options
Here are some of our favorite sides to serve with tacos:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 16 oz salsa
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 3 lb chicken breast (3 chicken breasts)
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- Mix salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning and cilantro in your slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top of the salsa mixture and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- Spoon salsa over chicken breasts, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Once done, remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred with forks and return back to slow cooker to serve from making sure to put slow cooker to WARM.