Maybe I should have warned you yesterday, but I’m going to be sharing several delicious soup recipes over the next week or two. I hope you don’t mind. I’m in Soup Mode right now and taking advantage of this cool weather to try out even more soups. I mean, how can you NOT love them? They are so warm and filling and just taste so yummy!
This next recipe is so good and was modified a bit from a Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe found HERE by my mom. Being Hispanic, our family loves anything with tortillas, so this recipe was right up our alley. We ended up topping it off with some homemade tortilla strips and cubed avocado, which made it even that much better!
If I’m going to be honest, if a recipe calls for Chicken and Avocados, I pretty much know I’ll love it. 😉 Put it in a soup form, and I love it even more!
Here is what you’ll need to make this recipe too:
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 1½ 15 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ cup onion chopped optional
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- corn tortillas for chip topping we cut and fried corn tortillas
- avocados cubed
- Cook and shred (or cube) chicken.
- Add all the ingredients, except the cheese, corn tortilla strips and avocados to your crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- Add cheese just before serving.
- To make this soup extra delicious, add some crunchy tortilla strips. Slice up corn tortillas with a pizza cutter. Flash Fry in hot oil and sprinkle on top of your soup. Add cubed avocados too!
Doesn’t this look so yummy?! It kind of reminds me of the Chicken Tortilla Soup from Chilis. 😀
For more great soup recipes be sure to check out: