I have another delicious dinner recipe for you today!!
Not sure about you, but I can never have enough of them. Way too often it comes close to dinner time and I still have no clue what I’m making. I’ve mentioned this in the past but I recently started a Monthly Meal Planner and it has been SO nice for our family. Now, I’m wasting fewer groceries and almost always have dinner planned in advance which has been great!
This next recipe for Mozzarella Penne was one my mom found HERE (have I mentioned what an awesome cook my mom is?!) We all love Italian food so she knew it would be a hit. It was. In fact, it’s a new favorite and was devoured quite quickly. If you love pasta dishes with lots of cheese and delicious-ness you will want to give this one a try. 😉
The sausage in this recipe is so delicious! If you don’t like meat, just leave it out – easy peasy.
The best part of it all really is the cheese-y goodness! 😉 Whenever we make dishes like this we like to serve it with some garlic bread, fried zucchini and a salad (like this Tortellini Salad!!) Mmmmm!!
- 2 TB olive oil
- ⅛ cup onion or 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 2 cans (15 oz ea) tomato sauce
- 1 TB oregano
- 2 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. fennel seed
- ½ tsp. salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 TB butter
- 3 TB wondra flour
- 2¼ cups milk
- grated mozzarella cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet heat your oil. Add onion and garlic, stir. Add sausage, breaking up well. Add tomato sauce and spices, let simmer.
- Fill a pot with water and set on high heat. Once boiling, add salt and pasta. Cook el dente.
- To make Bechamel; On med-low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. When melted, add your flour and stir until smooth. Whisk continually until mixture is light golden brown, about 5 min. Add your milk a little bit at a time, stirring constantly until its thick. Add a pinch of salt.
- Using a 9x13 pan, layer a small amount of red sauce from step 1 to the bottom of your pan. The layering process is as follows..Pasta, red sauce, bechamel then mozzarella. Do this a total of 3 times. Sprinkle more mozzarella and parmesan on top, to your liking. For us, the cheesier the better!!
- Bake at 400 until golden and bubbly, about 20-30 minutes. Took 20 minutes in my oven. Enjoy warm.
Recipe adapted from Love to be in the Kitchen
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – I LOVE me some Italian recipes for dinner!! 😀
For more great Italian dishes be sure to check out these family favorites:
For all Main Dish recipes go HERE.
For ALL Lil’ Luna recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!