Ritz Cracker Chicken is coated in sour cream, cheddar cheese, and Ritz cracker crumbs and then baked to crispy perfection.
One of our go-to chicken recipes, Ritz Cracker Chicken is cheesy and covered in a delicious sauce. We love to serve it with Garlic Bread and Mashed Potatoes for a perfect Sunday meal.
A family favorite dish
Ritz cracker chicken is a hit at Luna Family dinners!
It may be because the chicken is smothered in sour cream, cheese, and crushed crackers and then topped with a creamy sauce that makes it so good. 😉
The recipe actually calls for chicken breasts, but since I was trying to feed a lot I ended up using chicken tenders. They are about a third, or even a quarter the size, of a large chicken breast, and they worked perfectly for our family dinner!!
Similarly to our Crispy Chicken, this baked ritz cracker chicken recipe is always gone in minutes and tastes great served up with any of our tasty side dishes.
AKA crispy cheddar chicken
This recipe goes by many names – Ritz Cracker Chicken, Crispy Cheddar Chicken, Cheddar Baked Chicken – but no matter what you call it, it’s so delicious! Oh yeah – and it’s super easy to make!
PREP. Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place crushed crackers in a shallow dish or bowl along with salt, pepper, and parsley. Place sour cream in a separate dish, and cheese in another.
COAT. Begin by dipping each breast half into sour cream, coating all sides, and then placing in the cheese dish, coating with shredded cheese. Then, place each breast into the cracker mixture until well coated.
BAKE. Place into a greased 9×13. Cover and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
SAUCE. As the chicken is finishing cooking, place the sauce ingredients into a small pot and cook on medium-high heat. Stir until well combined and serve over the chicken along with fresh parsley. ENJOY!
Air Fryer Instructions
Spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray and place the chicken in the basket. Because a fryer cooks by circulating air around the food be sure that the pieces are not touching.
- Bake tenderloins at 360º for 12-14 minutes. Bake breasts at 350°F for 15 minutes then turn and cook 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- To ensure the chicken is cooked, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature is at least 165º F.
Substitutions and variations
Ritz Crackers alternative. One sleeve of ritz crackers contains about 35 crackers and makes 1½ cups of crumbs. This recipe calls for 2 sleeves (or 3 cups of crumbs).
With that in mind, use an equal amount of bread crumbs, crushed cornflakes, crushed potato chips, or panko. However, be aware the substitutions will create a slightly different flavor and texture.
Cheese. Easily change up the flavor of this dish by using a different cheese like mozzarella or pepper jack. Even adjusting the cheddar to mild or sharp would make a bit of a difference.
Seasoning. Adjust the taste of the chicken by changing the seasoning added to the cracker crumbs or the sauce. I used black pepper, salt, and parsley in this recipe, but you could easily include onion powder, garlic powder, or paprika. Add cayenne pepper or red chili flakes for a bit of a kick.
Chicken breast or tenderloin. The recipe card calls for 4 chicken breasts cut in half which would make 8 pieces of chicken. You can also buy a package of 8-9 tenderloins.
The sizes of chicken breasts and tenders vary. The following bake times should be sufficient to get a properly baked Ritz Cracker Chicken:
- chicken tenderloins: bake at 375°F for 30-45 minutes
- chicken breasts (halved): bake at 375°F for 50-55 minutes
- The internal temperature should reach 165°F. Remove the chicken from the oven at an inside temperature of 160°F and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving. During this time the temperature will rise another 5 degrees.
Make ahead of time. Prepare this Chicken in Ritz Crackers ahead of time, and even bake it before freezing, for a quick and easy meal right out of the freezer!
- To freeze raw breaded chicken: wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Store pieces in an airtight freeze-safe container for 6-9 months. Thaw for several hours in the refrigerator, but bake before the juices turn the coating soggy.
- To freeze baked coated chicken: cool the chicken and place it in the freezer in a single layer. Freeze for 2-3 hours and transfer pieces to a freezer bag. Pre-cooked chicken can be reheated from a frozen state. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake breasts for 20-25 minutes flipping halfway through. Tenders might cook even faster.
STORE leftover Cheddar Baked Chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or, if you’re in a hurry, the microwave.
Other creamy soups can also be used such as cream of mushroom or even cream of celery.
Mashed Potatoes are always a good choice, but if you want something a little lighter you could go with Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots or any one of our vegetable side dishes.
For more chicken recipes, check out:
- Chicken Parmesan Bundles
- Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake
- Buttery Baked Chicken
- Crispy Chicken with Arugula
- Ranch Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Piccata
Ritz Cracker Chicken Recipe
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place crushed crackers in a shallow dish along with salt, pepper, and parsley. Also place sour cream in a separate dish, and cheese in another dish as well.
- Begin by dipping each breast half into sour cream, coating all sides, and then placing in the cheese dish, coating with shredded cheese. Then, place each breast into the cracker mixture until well coated.
- Place into a greased 9×13. Cover and bake for 50-55 minutes.v
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- As the chicken is finishing cooking, place the sauce ingredients into a small pot and cook on medium-high heat. Stir until well combined and serve over the chicken along with fresh parsley. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Just a Pinch.
This is always a hit in my house!! Whats not to love? Chicken good! Ritz crackers? GOOD!! LOVE how easy this recipe is to follow!
See More Comments