These apple cinnamon muffins are moist, tender and filled with a delicious apple cinnamon flavor. With chunks of apples and a cinnamon sugar topping – they’re perfect for breakfast or a delicious snack.
easy apple Muffins
There’s something oh so delicious about apples and cinnamon (just like in our Apple Cake and Apple Crisp)! So I decided to combine these 2 delicious flavors for the perfect easy muffin recipe – Apple Cinnamon Muffins. They’re fluffy and moist on the inside, with beautifully golden muffin tops. The muffin has a delicious buttery flavor, hint of cinnamon, and sweet apples. Then they’re sprinkled with cinnamon sugar for the most delicious muffin recipe.
If you’re looking for a less sweet muffin recipe you could skip the cinnamon sugar topping – but I think it makes them just a little extra special.
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Muffins
This recipe is very straight forward, and you likely have all the ingredients already in your kitchen. When making muffins its really important that all the ingredients are at room temperature before getting started because it ensures that everything mixes together evenly without having to over mix the batter. Over-mixing causes the muffins to get tough, which we don’t want.
To get started, preheat your oven first, then line a muffin pan with papers. You could also lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray if you prefer.
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars until fluffy. I like to use a little brown sugar because it adds more flavor. Then mix in the eggs 1 at a time, and then the vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining cinnamon & salt together. Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with a little milk until it’s evenly mixed.
Chop & peel the apples, then lightly toss them with cinnamon. Then stir in the chopped apples. I like to use green apples when baking because they sweeten and soften as they bake.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, then sprinkle the top of each with cinnamon sugar. The muffins will bake for about 17-20 minutes, or until the tops look golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
You end up with muffins that are tender on the inside, filled with delicious cinnamon and apples, and perfectly golden on top. I love these for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack, and they’re a delicious muffin recipe that your whole family will love.
What are the best apples for muffins?
As we mentioned above, we prefer to use Granny Smith apples for these muffins, but most apples work great. It often depends on how sweet or tart you like your flavors, but these are some of the most popular apples to use in muffins:
- Granny Smith.
- Pink Lady
How long do muffins last?
Freshly baked muffins usually keep for about 1 week in the fridge. To make sure they last this long, store in a plastic bag, seal and place in the fridge. They can also be kept in a bag on the counter for about 3 days.
Can you freeze apple muffins?
Of course! To freeze, let them cool completely and then wrap in foil or plastic wrap and place in freezer safe Ziploc bags. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nothing beats a warm cinnamon and sugar topped apple muffin! They’re great for after school snacks a weekend treat or even for breakfast. We hope you enjoy them. 😉
For more apple recipes, try these other favorites:
More Magnificent muffins:
- Zucchini Muffins
- French Toast Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins
- Glazed Donut Muffins
- Biscoff Streusel Pumpkin Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Muffin Recipe
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 large apple, pealed & chopped about 1 1/2 cups chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees and line a muffin pan with papers.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, white sugar & brown sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs 1 at a time, then the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- With the mixer on low speed beat about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with about 1/3 of the milk. Repeat the process until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl toss the chopped apple with the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Gently fold the chopped apple into the muffin batter using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan - you'll get about 12 muffins total.
- In a small bowl stir the sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon sugar topping together. Then sprinkle it on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.