If you’re looking for a hearty soup recipe, look no further than this delicious White Chicken Chili Recipe! Loaded with chicken, beans, cheese, and lots of spices, this white chili has become a new favorite!! Best of all, it’s ready in 30 minutes or less!
We love taking this soup to potlucks and chili cook offs! Traditional beef chili is always a safe bet, but sometimes it’s nice to switch it up with something unique like this white bean chili, chili spaghetti, or even a sweet potato chili!
All-time favorite version
Fall and Winter mean soup season for us!
Yes, you can enjoy soup all year long, but we especially crave it during the cooler months. Along with some of our favorites like Cheesy Potato Soup and Chicken Tortilla Soup, one of our favorites is White Chicken Chili.
We’ve tried so many versions over the years, but today’s recipe for White Bean Chicken Chili is our all-time favorite! The hubby couldn’t stop eating it and said they tasted like my Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas in a soup form. I thought the same thing and was so happy we had found the BEST white chicken chili recipe.
How to Make White Chicken Chili
I can’t even tell you how EASY this recipe is. To make it even quicker, use some shredded leftover Rotisserie chicken. Here are are the white chili ingredients:
- chicken broth
- Great Northern Beans
- shredded chicken
- green chiles
- garlic powder
- sour cream
We always have these beans on hand, especially in the fall. Fresh cilantro and sour cream aren’t necessary, but they are also great additions to this easy white chili recipe. 😉 See for yourself how simple this white chicken chili recipe is…
SIMMER. Begin by throwing all the ingredients except the sour cream and cheese into a large pot. Simmer on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until completely heated through.
SOUR CREAM. Right before serving, stir in the sour cream and cheese until it’s melted. You can also use whipping cream with the sour cream to thicken the soup or use that to replace the sour cream.
In the crockpot
If you aren’t in a hurry, you could even throw everything (minus the sour cream and cheese) into the crockpot or slow cooker and cook on low for an hour or two and be set!
TIPS, TRICKS, and STORING
How to thicken? Here are a couple ways to thicken chilis and soups.
- Flour: Don’t just add flour to the chili. The flour will become clumpy and you’ll spend quite a while trying to get the clumps out. Instead, put 1-2 tbsp (per cup of chili) of four in a separate bowl and a cup of hot liquid from the chili. Mix the two until smooth and pour it into the chili.
- Cornstarch: Use 2 tablespoons per cup of chili. In a separate bowl mix cornstarch with a little cold water until it’s very smooth. Then, gradually stir the mixture into the hot liquid until it’s blended.
STORE. Chicken Chili shouldn’t be left out on the counter for more than 2 hours. You can store the chili in a airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave, stove top, or crock pot until the desired temperature.
FREEZE. If possible, we recommend freezing the chili before you add the sour cream and cheese. To do this, place it in a freezer-safe gallon bag in the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat in a pot and then add the additional ingredients at the end.
What sides go well with chili?
We know many may be looking for the standard beef chili recipe for you next chili cook off, but try this recipe, bring some corn bread, and I promise you… People will not be disappointed. 😉
For more chili recipes, check out:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Chili Verde Soup
- Easy Chicken Chili
- Green Enchilada Pork Chili
- Chili Spaghetti
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 4 c chicken broth
- 4 - 15.5 oz cans Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 c shredded chicken
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- dash of pepper
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 c shredded cheese Monterrey jack or Mexican blend
- In a large pot, add broth, beans, chicken, green chilis, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until it is heated through.
- Right before serving, stir in sour cream and cheese until it is all blended and melted. ENJOY!