I can’t turn my brain off.
Now that I’m nursing I have more time to sit and think. I usually think about the kids and the things that have to be done that day. I also often think of future blog post tutorials and recipes I’d like to try. I recently thought that it would be fun to do a Kansas City Dirt Cake using Red and Blue Oreos. I had seen the Summer Oreos at the store, which have a blue filling but quickly remembered that the Red-filled Oreos are only around at Christmas time. I usually stock up on them but didn’t have a chance to last Christmas. I dismissed the idea of a Patriotic Dirt Cake until last week when I was at Walmart. To my surprise I saw some Oreos that had a red and white filling – Strawberry Oreos! Yay!! I bought the rest of the ingredients for Dirt Cake and decided to make it last Friday. I wasn’t sure how Strawberries would mix in with the regular Oreo taste but thought I’d give it a try.
Fortunately, it turned out fab! Everyone loved it. You could taste the strawberries but since there were also regular Oreos the fruity taste was subtle.
This is how it turned out:
Such red, white and blue fun – right?!
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to make it too:
- ½ package Summer (blue) Oreos
- ½ package Strawberry Creme Oreos
- 1 8 oz. bar PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large container COOL WHIP
- 2 boxes white chocolate or vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Crush 1 row from each package of oreos and place in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- Mix cream cheese and margarine (or butter) until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar and fold in whipped topping. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix pudding, milk and vanilla. Fold this mixture in with the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour over crumb mixture.
- Crush ½ row of Oreos from each package and sprinkle with the reserve crushed Oreos. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Strawberry Creme Oreos and Summer Oreos
Crushed Oreos on the bottom of the pan.
Oreos and Sprinkles on top.
This truly is one of our FAVORITE family desserts. It’s easy to make and taste so stinking good! I honestly don’t think there’s a dessert out there that has Oreos that doesn’t taste DELISH.
For more Patriotic creations, be sure to check out:
For all Fourth of July ideas go HERE.
For all desserts ideas go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter.
BEHIND THE SCENES AT LILLUNA.COM:
My little helper and partner in crime.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!