A casserole version of the classic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. With layers of chicken, cheese, ham, sauce and Panko crumbs, it’s sure to become a family favorite.
Casseroles are a real dinnertime hero. They’re simple, they’re satisfying, and they really do make the perfect weeknight dinner. This is one of our favorite recipes, along with Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole and Taco Casserole.
Everyone Loves a Casserole
Are you scouring Pinterest for dinner ideas for the week? If so, look no further! I have another great casserole dish, that I think you’re going to like. And surprisingly, it doesn’t call for cream of chicken. 🙂
Instead, this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole calls for yummy ingredients like ham, Swiss cheese, freshly squeezed lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and is topped with crunchy Panko crumbs.
This recipe was a big hit with the adults AND the kids, which always makes for a perfect, new, go-to recipe that makes life easier! You guys know that we are all about easy dinner recipes, and we really think you’ll love this one. It’s obviously a take on Chicken Cordon Bleu but in a casserole form and since everyone loves casserole, we know you’ll love this dish.
With so many delicious layers, this casserole is so flavorful and still simple.
MEAT & CHEESE. Begin by spreading the shredded chicken onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 dish. Scatter chopped ham over the top of the chicken. Lay Swiss cheese slices on top of the ham, and then make your sauce mixture.
SAUCE. This is made by melting butter in a pot, and then adding flour to create a roux. Once smooth, whisk milk in until the sauce thickens. Add lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Pour the sauce over the top of the casserole.
TOP & BAKE. Top with buttered Panko crumbs and parsley, if desired. Bake for about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Slow Cooker Version
Absolutely! Follow the directions as written in the recipe except you’ll put it in a slow cooker instead of a baking dish. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 3-4 hours. When the casserole is about finished preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a separate bowl mix the topping ingredients, pour onto a baking sheet and bake the topping for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Sprinkle the topping over the casserole.
- Add green veggies such as broccoli florets or peas
- Substitute swiss cheese with another of your favorite cheese such as, cheddar, gauda, pepper jack or mozzarella.
- Replace breadcrumbs with stuffing mix
- Serve over or next to cooked noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Can I freeze cordon bleu casserole? Prepare casserole according to recipe instructions except for the bread crumbs. Wrap dish with plastic wrap then again with aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight. Add bread crumb topping and hake according to recipe instructions.
How to store and reheat leftovers: Discard if the casserole has been sitting out for longer than 2 hours. Otherwise store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Use a baking dish to reheat in the oven. If you’re in a hurry you can also reheat in the microwave.
For as long as I can remember, we’ve always liked Chicken Cordon Bleu, so to have it in a casserole form makes it even better. There are so many delicious flavors in this recipe, we think you’ll like it too. 😉
What to serve with chicken casserole?
There are so many great sides for this casserole dish, but some of our favorites include:
For more chicken casseroles, check out:
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
A casserole version of the classic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. With layers of chicken, cheese, ham, sauce and Panko crumbs, it's sure to become a family favorite.
- 4 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/2 lb honey ham thin sliced, chopped
- 1/4 lbs baby swiss cheese thin sliced
- 8 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley crushed and dried
Spread shredded chicken on the bottom of a buttered 9x13" baking dish. Scatter chopped ham over the top of the chicken. Lay Swiss cheese on top of the ham.
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, quickly stir in the flour to form a smooth roux. Once smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in milk while whisking. Stir until sauce thickens. Add lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper to the sauce. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Pour evenly over the casserole and around the edges of the pan.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Remove from microwave and stir in the Panko bread crumbs and dried parsley. Sprinkle over the top of your casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. ENJOY!