Summer time to me means relaxing days, hanging with the family, gathering for summer BBQs and trying delicious new recipes. Since it gets so stinkin’ hot here in AZ all the dessert recipes usually have fruit or have some kind of cool element to it. We recently tried a recipe for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches trifle and fell in love…. literally. My husband says it’s his new favorite dessert!
I admit I had never tried regular Tres Leches cake before but if you know a little Spanish, you know it means three milks. That’s exactly what’s included in the popular dessert as well as in this trifle – 3 milks. In this recipe there is sweetened condensed milk, unsweetened coconut milk and whipped cream. And with all that goodness, as well as strawberries, pudding mix, cinnamon and angel food cake, it’s really hard to go wrong with this treat!
As you know with most trifles, this is a layered dessert. It starts with the angel food cake that has been mixed with the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk and sour cream. Following that is a layer of the sliced strawberries. After that there is a pudding mixture that also has sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, whipped cream and cinnamon. The layers are repeated and everything is topped off with more whipped cream and some whole strawberries. DELICIOUS!
We would love to know what you think about this delicious dessert. It’s perfect for summer but can be made anytime of year. We hope you love it as much as we did!
Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches Trifle:
Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches Trifle
Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches Trifle - a delicious and cool layered dessert with sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, whipped cream pudding, cinnamon and strawberries.
- 1 1/2 lb fresh strawberries sliced and divided
- 14 oz angel food cake cubed
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk divided
- 8 oz sour cream
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk divided
- 12 oz frozen whipped topping thawed and divided
- 3.3 oz white chocolate instant pudding (or vanilla)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- extra strawberries for garnish
In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup of the condensed milk, ⅔ cup of the coconut milk and all the sour cream in a mixing bowl.
- Add angel food cake cubes to this mixture and toss gently.
- In another bowl, add 1 cup of the whipped topping. Add pudding mix and remaining coconut milk. Whisk until it thickens and then add remaining condensed milk and cinnamon. Mix well and fold in last of the whipped topping.
- Start layering dessert by adding half of the angel food cake mixture to your trifle dish. Top with half the strawberries and the half of the pudding mixture. Repeat the layers and top with whipped cream and whole strawberries. Refrigerate for at least half hour before serving. ENJOY!
Here is another trifle recipe we love to make:
And for more delicious trifles, check out: