Hello, Lil’ Luna readers! I’m Melanie from Melanie Makes and I’m thrilled to be joining Kristyn as a contributor this year. I love to make everyday eats a bit more interesting and that’s exactly what I’ve tried to do with this recipe!
During the week, breakfast at our house is something that is quick and that our children can easily eat before heading out the door to school. Usually this means something like oatmeal, cereal, muffins, etc. When it comes to the weekend, I love to make a special treat for us all to sit down and enjoy around the dining room table as we discuss what we’d love to do over the two days we have together. This Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake definitely fits the bill! I love that I can make it ahead on Friday afternoon and when I roll out of bed on Saturday morning, breakfast is ready and waiting for us.
Swirls of cream cheese and strawberry jam are sandwiched between two layers or cake batter before being sprinkled with a streusel like topping and then a sugar glaze. A definite sweet treat that will have everyone asking for seconds!
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla on medium speed until well combined.
- Scrape filling into a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed.
- Add egg, vanilla and yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide cake batter in half and spread half onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.
- Spread cream cheese filling evenly over top of cake batter.
- Microwave strawberry jam for 1 minute or until thinned and easily spreadable. Place dollops of jam over cream cheese mixture.
- Top with dollops of remaining cake batter. Using a knife, swirl layers of cake batter, cream cheese filling and jam together.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into sugar and flour mixture until pieces are the size of peas.
- Sprinkle topping over top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of cake removes cleanly. Allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk. If necessary, add additional milk to reach drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over top of cake.
This coffee cake is also perfect for overnight house guests as you can prepare it the night before. You can also easily customize it according to your flavor preferences simply by switching out the flavor of jam. The possibilities are endless, however, rest assured this is one coffee cake that will be requested over and over again. It really is that good!
Looking for more great breakfast recipes?
Oh, this looks amazing!! I LOVE Coffee Cake and a Strawberries N Cream version sounds delicious.
Thank you, Melanie!
For more great recipes from her be sure to head to Melanie Makes.
For more great Breakfast sweets, check out these favorites:
Oooh – I LOVE Breakfast treats!
For all breakfast ideas on the site go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!